Controllogix 5000 System is Stuck at "TEST"

The fact that they have a USB port on the front, can they be connected to a laptop using that method and checked that way?

I tried connecting one of the modules via the usb port to a laptop, but didint find it in device manager.
Do i need some kind of drivers or a special connection cable?

I tried connecting one of the modules via the usb port to a laptop, but didint find it in device manager.
Do i need some kind of drivers or a special connection cable?

I don't believe they will show up in Windows Device Manager.

Disconnect the USB cable, start-up RSLinx/RSWho interface then plug the USB cable back into the module- it should appear in the RSWho browser as a VirtualBackplane (USB) device; if that works, then you should be able to drill down into the Logix Backplane.

I'd be curious to know what caused the power outage?

You have tried them one-by-one, but have you tried a different backplane? i.e. chassis, if possible?

There is a redundancy module in your photo. What is the secondary chassis' partner modules displaying at present?

Yes, it could.

Yes, you can attempt to flash the firmware for the individual modules via their own USB port and the USB driver in RSLinx Classic. For modules without their own USB port, you can browse in through one modules USB port to the backplane and then to the target module. You can, of course, also just browse in through a USB port on one module and flash the firmware for each module that is visible on the backplane. But only attempt one at a time.

It is possible that a chassis-wide event occurred during the power outage which corrupted the firmware in all of these modules. But I would like a couple more answers on the above before I would be suggesting you go ahead and start attempting these firmware flashes.

Regards,
George

The backplane and the chassis is working fine, they were tested and they have no faults.
The fault is within the modules, they may either have a currepted firmware or a bricked hardware.
I managed to power up one of the modules (EthernetIP 1756-EN2T) outside the defult environment and separatley from the other parts.
As you can see the module is still displaying the Error maessage.

received_10155220964238088.jpg

Run RSLinx and connect to the module via USB; if it shows up, install it back into the chassis and see if you could 'drill' through it; in a functional system you should be able to access every module within; maybe the faulty one will be missing.

nhatsen said:
modules were acquired?

The manufacture dates are on the side of the cards but the odds of all of them failing at the same time because of a manufacture defect are slim, I would put my betting money on a voltage spike

nhatsen said:
Do you remember when those modules were acquired? There's a known anomaly related to some SDRAM components used in some modules manufactured between 2009 and 2012. That anomaly "only exhibits itself after a power cycle":

TN593133 Product does not complete power up sequence (Access Level: Everyone)

I posted similar info for a similar case just recently where a ControlLogix module was stuck at TEST...

1756-CN2R displays "TEST"

This is the fault that I had earlier said I know of where one of the modules could be suffering from it and affecting the other modules. But that member has not followed up with any new info on the matter.

geniusintraining said:
...the odds of all of them failing at the same time because of a manufacture defect are slim, I would put my betting money on a voltage spike

I do agree that one module having this fault and failing after a power cycle could be quite possible and the chances of all of them suffering the same fate is less likely, but, not impossible. If the hardware for this system was all procured around the same time and within this anomaly's timeframe, then there is still that possibilty. It would do no harm to check those date codes. If this component degradation issue did turn out to be the culprit, then it would not have taken any power spike or surge to cause this fault. A simple power cycle could have triggered it.

I would be more inclined to agree on a power surge having caused this but so far our friend has not attempted to answer that question, or simply does not know.

Also apparently skipped over was my advice on flashing firmware into the modules via their own USB port and how you would use the USB driver in RSLINX Classic to browse to the local module or other modules via the backplane. I've said it twice now and others have since reiterated this info, so hopefully it will start to get noticed at some point.

And at this point, whether it matters or not, and after confirming that the backplane is healthy, I would now be suggesting that you attempt to reflash the firmware into the modules.

Good Luck!

Regards,
George

Last edited:
I posted similar info for a similar case just recently where a ControlLogix module was stuck at TEST...

This is the fault that I had earlier said I know of where one of the modules could be suffering from it and affecting the other modules. But that member has not followed up with any new info on the matter.

I do agree that one module having this fault and failing after a power cycle could be quite possible and the chances of all of them suffering the same fate is less likely, but, not impossible. If the hardware for this system was all procured around the same time and within this anomaly's timeframe, then there is still that possibilty. It would do no harm to check those date codes. If this component degradation issue did turn out to be the culprit, then it would not have taken any power spike or surge to cause this fault. A simple power cycle could have triggered it.

I would be more inclined to agree on a power surge having caused this but so far our friend has not attempted to answer that question, or simply does not know.

Also apparently skipped over was my advice on flashing firmware into the modules via their own USB port and how you would use the USB driver in RSLINX Classic to browse to the local module or other modules via the backplane. I've said it twice now and others have since reiterated this info, so hopefully it will start to get noticed at some point.

And at this point, whether it matters or not, and after confirming that the backplane is healthy, I would now be suggesting that you attempt to reflash the firmware into the modules.

Good Luck!

Regards,
George

The chassis and the backplane were tested and were proved to be working well,
Your appreciated advice were taken very seriously and i was tying to connect one of the modules to the PC but i didn't succeed in that yet.
I think there is a problem with the drivers and i'm working on it, i will give you more details soon.

I think there is a problem with the drivers and i'm working on it, i will give you more details soon.

Please do.... if you are able to get these working again let us know how, most of us have brick one or more, I have a ENBT stuck in test and would love to give it a try (what ever you find)

Run RSLinx and connect to the module via USB; if it shows up, install it back into the chassis and see if you could 'drill' through it; in a functional system you should be able to access every module within; maybe the faulty one will be missing.

I tried to connect the module via it's USB port to the RSLinux Classic software in my PC but It didn't show up in the RSWho interface.

I can't access the article discussing the manufacturing fault in the provided links, it shows an error about the login.
I have an active account at Rockwell Automation website and still can't access it.