ControlLogix 5k error mesaage when importing tags

jimdi4

Anyone experience importing tags from excel CSV after editing the CSV file in excel and then try re-importing them back into Contrologix? I get the following error message...I also printed the excel top 6 lines as well...(see below)

Importing from G:\13-Tags.CSV...
Options: Create Tags=Yes, Overwrite/Discard Tags=Overwrite

Import New Comments=Yes, Overwrite/Discard Comments=Overwrite, Match by Rung Number=No

Error: Line 6: The CSV Schema line or Record line is invalid

Error: Line 6: Syntax error found while scanning import file.

Totals:

0 tag(s) created

0 tag(s) overwritten on collision

0 description(s) imported

0 new comment(s) imported

0 comment(s) overwritten on collision

Complete - 2 error(s), 0 warning(s)

Excel top 6 lines:

remark
CSV-Import-Export

remark Date = Tue Mar 08 16:20:18 2005

remark Version = RSLogix 5000 v13.03

remark Owner = xxxxx

remark Company = xxxxx

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm not sure exactly what line 6 does. It looks like it might be a version number for the import tool.

I suggest that you export a new tag list from any program, then strip off everything but the first 7 lines. Copy-paste your tags into this new file, and be sure to save it in .csv format! Excel likes to try and auto-format things, and that's double-plus-uncool.

You might also try opening the .csv file with a text editor, like Notepad. Compare it to a valid import/export file. Look for extra commas, blank lines and things like that.

AK

I wanted to add that I performed a test by exporting the tags again to a new file name then reimported that new file back into rsl5k and got no errors. Its only when I update the CSV (I just changed the rack I/O text).

I might also add that I highlighted evertyhing below line 6 and resorted it....Column F...which is the base tag info column...can this cause a problem??? I wouldn't thinks so?

This is the header from a version 13 export file.

remarkCSV-Import Export
remarkDate = Wed Mar 09 22:00:14 2005
remarkVersion = RSLogix 5000 v13.00
remarkOwner = Somebody
remarkCompany = Some Co.
TYPE SCOPE NAME DESCRIPTION DATATYPE SPECIFIER

The first 5 lines that begin with "remark" can be deleted.
The next two lines *MUST* remain. It looks like you may have sorted line 7 out of position.

I typically delete any lines of the body that I am not going to edit. It makes for a smaller file. I definitely delete the lines that begin with "TAG" or "ALIAS" if I am not intending to create new tags or aliases. If all the lines in the body begin with "COMMENT", you should have no trouble importing it.

If your csv file only has "COMMENT" lines in it you can even import new comments to a running program. Just go off-line for a few seconds, run the import, and go back on-line. It will not ask for an upload. Very handy.

Good luck,

Mike Ellis

jimdi4 said:
I might also add that I highlighted evertyhing below line 6 and resorted it....Column F...which is the base tag info column...can this cause a problem??? I wouldn't thinks so?

Did you check the file(s) in a text editor? I tend to think you may have lost the end of line identifier or something on line 6, which would make line 6 and 7 the same line. The import's not going to like that.

Can you post your export files?

AK

mellis said:
This is the header from a version 13 export file.

TYPE SCOPE NAME DESCRIPTION DATATYPE SPECIFIER

The first 5 lines that begin with "remark" can be deleted.
The next two lines *MUST* remain. It looks like you may have sorted line 7 out of position.

I did see that I resorted the seventh line, So I searched for that line and reinserted it back into position...Still got the same error. So what I did was to re-export the CSL5000 file again, tnen renamed it...then I just picked the data from my non-importing file and pasted into the New renamed file and then reimported it...this worked w/o any error.

This took some time to do.
Maybe that was the only way to do it since I am using a program from a similar job and only changing how the I/O is wired to on the new job.

After successfully importing the tags (Alias's) I now have to do a find and replace on the newly wired I/O addresss with the new Alias names.....I noticed that even though you do a find and replace in the tag list, you still have to search the logic and do a find and replace as well...any easier sugestions??? or is this the only way to go about it?

Last edited:
Just to add to the above....When I import the newly updated alias's there are now two alias names that have the same I/O point. (Local:3:I.Data.0)in the tag editor.

When I search and replace the I/O point in the logic : (ie:Local:3:I.Data.0 has two alias names cr100 and new cr200 after the import) I search Local:3:I.Data.0 alias Cr100 and replace it with alias cr200. I would think that when you do a find and replace alias in the tag editor it would take care of this...I guess not...also after doing the find and replace on cr100 to cr 200,in the logic, cr100 still remanes tied to Local:3:I.Data.0 in the tag editor somehow...

How do I delete unused alisas when they are still connected soemhow?

Do I have to re-verify the tag list somehow??? So that the new tag alias will only be associated with this address?

I want the new I/O point to have cr200 instead of the old alias cr100. (because the drawings are changed ffrom the old job).

Thanks!

Last edited:
Well, Playing around awhile got me where I wanted to be...I found out that you do a cross reference on one of the alias names. Ctl H and replace all routines on the new Alias name, Then go to the old alias name in the tag editor double check the cross reference on the alias again just to make sure the address is now pointing to the new alias name and if so delete the old alias...as far as I know this is the only way to do this...Anyone else please chime in..

For others who run into this issue, Excel is usually the issue. I didn't touch the first 7 lines at all, but Excel likes to add a bunch of commas at the end.

Using notepad++, this is the first 7 lines before editing:

remark,"CSV-Import-Export"
remark,"Date = Thu Jul 6 10:58:32 2023"
remark,"Version = RSLogix 5000 v32.03"
remark,"Owner = TechAdmin"
remark,"Company = Company"
TYPE,SCOPE,NAME,DESCRIPTION,DATATYPE,SPECIFIER,ATTRIBUTES

after editing:

remark,CSV-Import-Export,,,,,
remark,Date = Thu Jul 6 10:52:04 2023,,,,,
remark,Version = RSLogix 5000 v32.03,,,,,
remark,Owner = TechAdmin,,,,,
remark,Company = Company,,,,,

it also looks like Excel likes to add an extra comma, compared to the un-edited notepad++ file, and the very last line needs to be a blank newline.