ControlLogix Downloader

nmurray

Is there any software that will allow me to download to a ControlLogix PLC (I don't need to edit or even look at the code) without buying an additional license for RSLogix 5000 ??

The reason I ask is my company supports a lot of remote plants, and I can log onto the PLC from my office, however on some of these plants the internet isn't very good, they can be very remote. What I am looking for is some software I can put on their computer so I can transfer a file then download it to the PLC without the fear of the connection dropping out and causing them to not be able to run. (If the connection fails when I'm transfering files I can just start again when I notice)

Just for a reference, I can log onto their plc and view tags live, but it is very slow, and to download can take over an hour.

That is slow!

In many instances you may be able to "borrow" the activation from your remote computer to a local computer on the site, as long as the VPN you're using allows the local computer to "see" your computer and there aren't any wacky firewalls in place. This is done using FactoryTalk Activation Manager and I've done it on occasion with remote technicians and (no fooling) dial-up PCAnywhere connections to truly remote locales.

@bjh, can this be done with the USB license dongles?
(I only have the usb license dongle)
I have thought about that, but have never actually tried it, I assumed you could only borrow with the server license

@bjh, can this be done with the USB license dongles?
(I only have the usb license dongle)
I have thought about that, but have never actually tried it, I assumed you could only borrow with the server license

If I were to guess? Probably not.. I've only done this with Toolkit licenses. The help for FTAM says -
Rockwell Automation said:
Borrowed activation is not supported by all products. See your product documentation for information on what types of activation it supports.
so take that for what it's worth.

There is a Studio/RSLogix 5000 "Service Edition" that's cheap as far as AB is ever cheap. I believe it allows downloads and viewing of code only, no online edits and it may even be limited to ladder logic only. It might be a worthwhile investment in this case.

Last edited:
@bjh
Thanks for the help!!
I'll look into that "Service Edition" and also give it a try to transfer my dongle license, I'll have to see if I can actually view the Computer tho.
My only gripe with the Service Edition would be I'm sure it doesn't allow it to be transfered to devices, no more than one bound to your computer does (unless you call rockwell then they give you the whole you can't do this more than 5 times a year)