ControlLogix Edit Controller Type

Lovell

Hey people,

Just wondering if anyone has run across this issue and if there is a solution.

Here is the situation. I have a program that has a 1756-L81 controller and it will be used as such later. (V30)

I have an I/O rack I need to test and there are about 100 IO modules. I do not have the L81 Controller but I have a spare 1756-L74. I want to test the IO using the L74. The L81 has an Ethernet Port which the program is not using. The L74 does not have an Ethernet Port.

Is there any way to switch the controller type from L81 to L74? The program does not want to do it natively I think because of the ethernet port issue.

L5X editing?

What I am looking at doing is exporting the IO - and the program, and importing into a new blank project with an L74 in it - although not perfect and time consuming I think it will work.

Hi Lovell.

Can you create a new project with the required CPU?

If not; this means you do not have the required revision of RSLogix5000/Studio 5000 for this controller type.

If you can; chances are there is a compatibility issue as you suspected.

Regards

Daniel.

Lovell.

I have just tried the above in Step 1; and confirm I also cannot select the appropriate CPU, the L74 DOES support firmware revision 30.0 so this is not the issue, all I can think is to do with the onboard ethernet port.

You may have to export tags, and tasks then reload into a blank project, sorry about the inconvenience.

If you are unsure how to do this- feel free to send me the .ACD and I will reassemble with the L74.

Regards

Daniel.

Thanks Daniel,

Yes, the L74 is also at V30. I have proceeded the export/import way and it is working. I am still interested if there is another way...

From this state I can now switch it from L74 to L81... one way street I guess.

Im pretty sure there isnt an 'official' way; but like you said, it might be possible to play around with the settings in the .ACD/.L5X file.

But seeing as a manual convert will only take you 5/10mins, its probably not worth the risk.

Good luck!