Controllogix L64 to Compactlogix L16ER via Modbus

Jasondelane

Lifetime Supporting Member
Client's Customer has an L64 v20 with MCI56-MCM Modbus in 2 slots.

Client has an 1769-L16ER-BB1B v20 that needs to communicate with the L64 via Modbus. Modbus comms is a requirement of the Client's Customer. I suggested Ethernet/IP but was rebuffed.

There will be 6 discrete BOOL tags for various monitoring and alarm states, and a couple of DINTs for flow rates.

If I install the Modbus TCP AOI 2.00 on the L16ER will this be sufficient to establish communication between these two controllers via Modbus?

Is there another way to accomplish this besides buying an expensive Prosoft Modbus Point IO Module?

First time using Modbus so be gentle :D

As far as I recall, MCI56-MCM is serial module, it talks Modbus RTU.
Modbus TCP AOI are going over Ethernet. So it will not help you.