ControlLogix - Manually Tune SIP Axis for Maintaining Position Against a Load

CevinMoses

I need to increase a servo motor's ability to hold a load in place when work is being performed against it. This project is in a metal forming machine that bends sheets of steel or aluiminum. Is is an RSLogix 5000 v20.04 project with a Kinetix350 drive controlling a servo motor coupled to a horizontal ball screw. There is a pair of clamps on the ball screw that hold the sheet of material and move it to a programmed position. Then a hydraulic cylinder moves to bend the material around a mandrel to form a 90 degree bend. Sometimes, even though the material is being held in place by the mandrel, there is enough force to push against the clamps (and thus the servo motor) and cause them to come out of position. I have an alarm that monitors the .positionlock tag of that axis, but what I would prefer to do is increase the amount of torque that the motor is allowed to use to hold the material in place. The servo motor does not have a motor brake, so I can't get creative to use that, and I don't think that it's a gearing issue. I have the servo motor attuned, but I can't autotune it with the same force pushing against it, so I think I need to fine tune it manually. I just am not sure what I need to adjust.