ControlLogix Memory Upgrade

Allen Nelson

We've been programming a 1756-L55/A 1756-M13/A ControlLogix Controller, and have run out of memory (1.5 MBytes) with only about half to a third of the project programmed.

I see the catalog listing for seperate 1756-M14 (3.5MBytes) and 1756-M16 (7.5 MBytes).

What's involved in upgrading the memory of a ControlLogix? Is it as simple as in a PC (pull one chip card, put in another), or do we have to swap out the PLC? Will we have to reflash when we are done?

What's the story?

Please refer detail communication manual of ControlLogix. Definately, you will get how to do that. Or Read Installation Instructions for Mamory Module.

Allan you can buy expansion memory (sister boards) that snap onto the Logix processor board. You won't need to buy a whole new processor just a memory boards upgrade. Can't tell you for sure about needing to flash the processor, but I'd say it's a good bet you will have to depending on the rev level of the processor and the new memory module you will buy.

try reading a book

When one begins a project, an assessment is made to determine the amount of code required to complete the tasks. A PLC is then selected to meet the requirements. This is a very basic first step that is often not understood by most PLC beginners. bonkhead

I am assuming you are new to PLC programming due to the nature of your problem. With only one third to one half the code written and already out of memory, perhaps a valuable lesson has already been learned. I am not critizing you for this embarrassing problem, I am merely trying to suggest that perhaps in the future you should remember the basic steps of PLC selection before a costly mistake is made. A little upfront investigative work can save you considerable time when the project goes south. :sick:

What I feel necessary to critize is your use of this board to post a question when the answer is readly available in the form of a manual. The Rockwell website has a wealth of information. May I suggest you crack open a book and read it before taking the lazy mans approach by having an answer handed to him on a silver platter. You may be surprised how much you could learn from reading the user manuals prior to diving in prematurely. banghead

Doug in Oregon

FO to anyone who just gave Allen a ration of "that which makes things grow.".

Allen, enjoy suckling on the Mamory module.

Last edited:
Doug H, Rough day?

What I feel necessary to critize is your use of this board to post a question when the answer is readly available in the form of a manual. The Rockwell website has a wealth of information. May I suggest you crack open a book and read it before taking the lazy mans approach by having an answer handed to him on a silver platter. You may be surprised how much you could learn from reading the user manuals prior to diving in prematurely.

Having said that, I do believe 99.9% of the questions posted on here could probably be found in a manual somewhere. What are any of us doing here then?

Allen is a major contributor to this site, and I think infering that he is lazy isnt really justified.

Doug H:

It is only Thursday, relax, have some rest and beer...
3 day weekend is coming.

At least say "Hi" to everyone.

Next time just look at the number of posts of the person and read at least some of them, may be you will learn something...

Are you that person who normally calls A-B techsupport to teach them about reading the book? ;)
Did they ask you about Direct Connect contract?

Last edited:
I decided to separate this post from the previous one, just cool off a little.

RSlogix v13 has a nice tool to check how much memory used in the processor and how much left.

Before it was available onlyne only, now you can do it offlline.
I don't think that memory upgrade will require any changes, but it is always good idea to flash processor with the latest firmware for your software revision.

Support

A couple of things:

1) I'll admit that I WAS a little bit lazy in coming here without a thorough search of the AB site for Technotes, manuals, et al. I'm a bit under the gun with this project, and needed an answer fast. My boss suggested the RSLogix Forum. I knew that this place would give me better and faster answers.

2) I've got enough experience with AB manuals to know that they don't always tell you everything you may need to know. They may tell you exactly which screws that will open the case so that you can get to the memory module, but they will neglect to tell you that you may need to reflash the processor. In posting here, I was looking for the inside scoop that the experience of this community has, and shares.

3) We didn't select the processor, or even buy it - the client did. So it's not our fault that we ran out. In fact, I saw the potential problem early, and since some modules were going to be duplicates of others, I did some quick copying of tags and code, and determined long before we ran out that we were in serious trouble.

4) Rather than getting a just a memory module, we wound up getting a whole new processor, and returned the one we had. It was simpler that way (since the client would have no use for a memory module, and we didn't want to be bothered returning a part that was actually a part of something else)

5) I've made a few RTFM posts myself, and so I'm not offended by anyone who posts the same to me. I do, however, appreciate the support from those who came to my defense, though. It's a very nice feeling.

So, thanks for all who replied.

Case closed.

support

Allen,

My post was harsh. I appologize. I noticed you are a frequent poster here and your posts are informative and insightful. My bad for being a jerk.

Good luck with your Mamory module.

Doug