ControlLogix - Need translation

dalporto

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all.

That will be a stupid question for a lot of you guys.

I'm talking with ProSoft support and he sent me an example late yesterday:

XIC MNETC.DATA.WriteData[0].0 BST OTL MotorStart NXB OTU MNETC.DATA.WriteData[0].0 BND

Don't know if he wrote it from its head or if he actually copied it from the program.

I'm not a full-patch Rockwell programmer. I know what XIC / OTL / OTU refers to.

But I don't know what BST and BND are, doesn't seem to be blocks, so I don't know what the rung is supposed to look like.

I copied a bunch of my own rungs on Notepad wishing that I could find it without any luck.

Thanks.

Ohhh.

I get the text zone now.

It's not the same as when I copy the rung in Notepad.

Ok, problem solved, thanks.

Text zone:
[XIO(Local:2:I.Data[5].16)XIO(SIM_ON),XIC(SIM_JB16_S00.15)XIC(SIM_ON)]OTE(GX_I_JB16_80DE_LO);

Notepad:
BST XIO Local:2:I.Data[5].16 XIO SIM_ON NXB XIC SIM_JB16_S00.15 XIC SIM_ON BND OTE GX_I_JB16_80DE_LO

XIC MNETC.DATA.WriteData[0].0 BST OTL MotorStart NXB OTU MNETC.DATA.WriteData[0].0 BND

Code:
  MNETC.DATA.WriteData[0].0              MotorStart
------------] [----------------+------------]L[--------------+---
                               |                             |
                               |  MNETC.DATA.WriteData[0].0  |
                               +------------]U[--------------+

It seems odd to me that it is .WriteData not .ReadData, but then I don't know the entire system.

Last edited:
He's helping me setting up the Modbus ProSoft Pass-Through feature, so now from Intouch it acts directly on the Write and I can reset the bits from the PLC.

Text zone:
[XIO(Local:2:I.Data[5].16)XIO(SIM_ON),XIC(SIM_JB16_S00.15)XIC(SIM_ON)]OTE(GX_I_JB16_80DE_LO);

Notepad:
BST XIO Local:2:I.Data[5].16 XIO SIM_ON NXB XIC SIM_JB16_S00.15 XIC SIM_ON BND OTE GX_I_JB16_80DE_LO
When you manually type a rung in Studio 5000 (or RSLogix 5000) using the command line edit bar, you have the option to choose between ASCII Text and Neutral Text. It is a dropdown list to the left of the text box at the top of the editor. ASCII Text will accept the code you have in the Notepad section of your post, while Neutral text accepts what you have in the Text zone. To clarify, BST, NXB, and BND aren't instructions you can drag in like XIC, XIO, OTE. If you drag a branch onto a rung and then go into the command line edit bar, the BST and BND should be in there. If you add branches, there should be an NXB for every branch you add.

Code:
ASCII text    Neutral text    Description
BST                [          Branch Start
NXB                ,          Next Branch
BND                ]          Branch End

It is also worth noting that Neutral text requires a semi-colon at the end of the line, but ASCII Text does not.