ControlLogix/RSLogix5000 software upgrade

cmschleich

Hi,

I serve a plant where they run RSLogix5000 v16 and the PLC has the associated firmware. I want to take both to v20.

What I don't know is how to go about testing/validating/checking the PLC program to vet any risks particular to the manufacturer software upgrade. I asked Tech Support for their thoughts and got a completely amateur answer.

Thanks for any response,
Chris

(this was in response to a question "why", which appears to have been deleted)
Windows XP obsolescence, and instability of v16 on Windows 7. My engineer found an article about a few Win7 setup tricks to make v16 more stable on Windows 7, but I want to avoid tricks.

Last edited:
What model ControlLogix do you have? The L55 series for example can't be flashed beyond version 16.

There are release notes provided with each firmware update. In that, RA details what has been changed/fixed/updated. Usually there aren't any issues in upgrading. Some things that might have changed is how AOI's are handled, motion control, etc. The release notes are worth reviewing.

Thanks, I pushed back on support this morning and they supposedly asked a firmware engineer who said something similar to your recommendation. Definitely will review the release notes.

I generally approach these by reading the release notes carefully and if they include a "known anomaly" that relates to a function I use, I plan an extra functional test and have a downgrade plan in place.

If not, full steam ahead.