controllogix serial port modbus simulation software

Hello wilson;
Are you sure that the Controllogiz serial port (on the CPU, you mean?) can be used as a Modbus slave? Everytime we needed to implement a Modbus communication on a Controllogix we needed to implement a Prosoft card such as the MVI69-NCM:
http://www.prosoft-technology.com/content/view/full/6182

If such a code exists, it should be available on the Rockwell KnowkledgeBase.

Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

I am sure there is such software to simulate controllogix cpu serial port as modbus slave.I have such ladder program task in the controllogix project. I just want the stand modbus slave similation program for the future project.

Hello wilson;
Are you sure that the Controllogiz serial port (on the CPU, you mean?) can be used as a Modbus slave? Everytime we needed to implement a Modbus communication on a Controllogix we needed to implement a Prosoft card such as the MVI69-NCM:
http://www.prosoft-technology.com/content/view/full/6182

If such a code exists, it should be available on the Rockwell KnowkledgeBase.

Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

It's on rslogix 5000 software folder's projects\sample

I am sure there is such software to simulate controllogix cpu serial port as modbus slave.I have such ladder program task in the controllogix project. I just want the stand modbus slave similation program for the future project.

I am sure that the examples that you are referring to are Prosoft card examples. (They are categorized as VENDOR)
I agree with Dchartier, until proven wrong....
Every application involving Modbus that I have worked with utilized an MVI card of some-sort. (Multi-Vendor Interface)

I know there is a sample of Modbus master and maybe slave too on ab.com. But there is a large amount of code and it is hard to troubleshoot. I have been told by my distributor that people have tried to use it and after a couple of days/weeks they buy a Modbus card as the others have mentioned.

If you need large amount of data fast, then you should be using Prosoft card

But if you want to read just a few words per second, then application works just fine.
Application distributed since 2004 under
C:\RSLogix 5000\Projects\Samples\ENU\v<xx>\Rockwell Automation
(replace <xx> with your version)

The secret to sucsess: do not try to modify any application code :)

Take a look at TN 32662 (Techconnect access level)
TN has an updated application that corrects most of the problems found in the intial version that was included with all previous versions of Logix

If you use unmodified application, then no debugging needed and I strongly recommend you not to modify any code
For slave you will need to configure only address - nothing else needed - it will resond to master requests

For master - you will need to configure tags to set your master requests
You can monitor these requests using hyperterminal or WinHexCom.

And if you still believe that modification is necessary then let me know before you do it.

Last edited: