Controllogix T300 Motion Control Setup Problem

IPSIBilly

Hello all,

I am presently trying to setup a motion control project with a Logix 5563 processor and a Siemens 6RA70 DC Master using a SST-PFB-CLX Profibus card. I have 5 of the drives all with CB cards in them and I am able to communicate with all but the motion drive. I have a T300 board as well as the CB in it but it is giving me a F116 fault saying that it is not receiving good communications from the PLC. I can see the drive using the SST drive setup software but when I monitor messages received or sent through the PLC or Drive Monitor I do not see any information coming back. It seems that I have not setup something correctly and I am new to this type of platform so any advice on sending and receiving data to and from the drive would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any responses

Is the T300 mounted in slot 2 (far right)and is the CBP2 mounted in an adapter board in slot 3(middle slot of the LBA)?
It must be like this to work.
Is there 3 lights blinking On and Off at the same time on the CBP2?

Last edited:
Yes the T300 is mounted to the far right in slot 2. It also has an EPROM card mounted in it. There is an adaption board mounted in the middle (slot 3). The CPB2 is mounted in the middle on the bottom slot which is G I believe. The CPB2 has a red, yellow, and green light all blinking on and off at the same time which I believe means the Profibus is happy, but the drive is faulted with an F116 which says it's not receiving good data

Which MS3xx software are you using?
For example, in the MS340 F116 has nothing to do with a comm. fault.
Just curious, what made you pick the T300 instead of the T400?
The T300 is not really recommended for the 6RA70.
I have used T300/T400's for 6SE70's but only T400 for 6RA70.

Nice to hear that from both of you, my guess was that if motion control was based on CLX you have to use any of the 1756 boards design from AB for that purpose. And that was what I did in the past. Good news

I am using a program called SST Profibus Configuration Tool that was provided with the SST card from Woodhead Electronics. As far as the T300 goes I did not personally pick it. I described my motion application to to a vendor and that is what they recommended. I am using the MS380 for the 6RA70s. I can see the 6RA70 in question using the Profibus Config tool but I do not have good info coming back to the PLC

Hello Billy;

If I was in your situation I would start by comparing the setup of the Profibus comms of the drives I am able to connect to, and those I am having problems with.
In the SST configuration tool, do you have the same data exchange modules configured for all the drives? Do the selected addresses for the I/O areas match with the size of the exchages? Do the selected addresses match the one selected on the drives?
With the SST Profibus Tool there is an Online function that can diagnose (on a primitive level) the connection problems with slaves (wrong address, faulty configuration, no communication with the slave...); this would also be informative.
Of course, this is presuming cabling, conncetors and termination issues have all been validated.
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

Last edited:
I believe my Profibus is not the problem now. I can send and receive data to and from all the drives. My problem seems to be in the config and setup of the T300. According to the documentation I have the PLC comms with the CPB and it in turns comms with the T300 and then info comes back to me in the same way. I may have misplaced it but I don't any documentation that tells me what parameters to set in order to get the T300 playing nice with the CPB. Anyone commissioned one of these before?