Controllogix Time Synchronization

Lovell

I am running into an issue with time synchronization between a 1756-L81E and 1756-L83E.
L83E is the system time master. Enable Time Synchronization is checked.
L81E is a synchronized time slave. Enable Time Synchronization is checked.
I have a DST instruction toggling Adjust for Daylight Savings time in the time master. It is currently checked.
The time slave Adjust for Daylight Savings time is not changing with the master. It is currently NOT checked.
. Time is in sync except it is an hour off while DST is happening.
Do I need a DST instruction in both?
Anyone have experience with this?

Last edited:
The TimeSync object has no knowledge of or bearing over DST. It deals in UTC.

DST is handled by the Logix WallClockTime object. Performing a GSV for its attributes, you can get the DateTime or LocalDateTime. The former is pure UTC (effectively governed by the TimeSync mechanism, when enabled), the latter is derived from UTC + Zone offset (hours and minutes) + DST offset (minutes, when DST is enabled).

You could set up a produce-consume block or message handler to "synchronize" the DST attribute between the two. This need not be deterministic since the LocalDateTime result is derived from the already-synchronized DateTime anyway.

I strongly encourage any and all timestamping you perform to be in UTC. It's universal and you only need to concern yourself with aspects of local time when presenting the data.

Last edited: