Contrologix Clock laugh of the day

[now, if i can just get him to remember NOT to ohm out a fuse with the power on! ]

If you have a Fluke Multimeter let him buy the next set of fuses for it. Last time I bought any you had to get a pack of ten & they were $10 each. After that I got damned good at remembering to check for power before ohming out a circuit.

Last edited:
I do it all the time but not using the OHM setting BUT I have accidentally connected the leads to power with it on OHMS.I have never blown a fuse on my Fluke 87 III which is why I like it so much. When I was younger I used analog meters and the D'Arsonval movements DO NOT like power when set on OHMS.

Come on guys !! Maybe the correct thing to do would be to just sit down with the guy and simply ask him why he did it that way. As mentioned earlier, if he was used to CNC M code programming, what he did was very logical. If not, just show him. If he continues to show little knowledge, and shuns the desire to spend the extra time to learn, then maybe something should be done.

Everyone gets a chance.... I know I did. The trick is to make the absolute best out of that single chance and turn it around into something positive.....

My 2c

Jim

Does anyone remember the first week of any new job they started. Trying to fit in and how nervis you are. I've been doing maintance for a long time and get to train the new guyes. We allways say the first month try to keep them safe. The second month let them go a little bit. The third month see what they can do and then make a dicision. Hence the 90 days.
Every one need a brake to get started in life so lets give them a chance.

Rich1955 said:
... Every one need a brake to get started in life so lets give them a chance.

We can all agree on that. However, it concerns me that this person may not know what HE DON'T KNOW. I am not sure you can teach someone that mentality. Writing PLC code is not the same as writing a video game. Real people can get killed, whether your program runs or not.

I would say that a lot depends on what he is promoting himself to be. A lot also depends on what qualities he was "really" expected to provide.

If he is supposed to be a "hit the ground running" programmer... lose him! He has no sense of system nor of PLC inherent capabilities.

If he is expected to be a raw-rookie, then teach him.

As weird as it might sound, when I interview a prospective programmer, after all the chit-chat stuff, the first three questions I ask are as follows...

1. Can you draw a square? Show me.

2. Can you draw a 3-dimensional square? Show me.

3. Can you develop an Off-Timer using only an On-Timer? Show me.

Everyone can do the first.

I was surprised to see how many couldn't do the second. I wasn't asking for artistic capabilities but rather "spacial acuity". This is critical to multi-dimensional motion control. Along with his "A, B, C's" one has to know his "X, Y, Z's".

I wasn't too surprised about the third. Many so-called programmers just couldn't relate to the idea of developing an off-delay effect without relying on a specifically designed off-delay instruction. That shows a lack of imagination. And imagination is "everything" in PLC programming!

Harryting said...

"Real people can get killed, whether your program runs or not."

That is the bottom line. You have to "feel in your bones" that this guy "has it".

Most, and I mean most, programmers are "hackers". Can you afford to have a "hacker" developing your process?

Using a Stop-Watch to measure event-time on a status screen? GET REAL!

Terry Woods said:

2. Can you draw a 3-dimensional square? ....
I was surprised to see how many couldn't do the second.
I'm not surprised!

Is that some sort of colloquialism for "cube"?

Thanks for all the interest in this post, It deserves an answer, The person in question was hired here to be a entry level welder, They would have sent him to weld training and put him welding on the line at $15.00 an hour.

Someone looked at his resume and noticed he had a PHD in computer science and worked at Big Blue for 20 years , Problem was his training and programming experence is completly in OLD programming languages like Cobalt, Perl ETC.

The plan was to give him training in PLC and IT but when we lost our best programmer we threw him to the wolf's.

I think he will be fine if we just step back and plan this out. Again thanks all for the input.

A PHD welder....ha!

I've got a great tech with a law degree. I know a truck driver with an MBA, and a construction laborer (mixes concrete and sweeps the floor) with a Masters in EE and a PE license to boot.

All of these guys are really smart, but cant stand their professions and would rather work with their hands...

Maybe your guy really wants to be a welder.....

"I'm not surprised!

Is that some sort of colloquialism for "cube"?"

Ooops... I meant to say 3-dimensional "view of a box". That's what's on my questionnaire.

I didn't want to make the problem too difficult by saying "cube"... it's confusing to some.

So sorry.