contrologix gateway fault

brucechase

I just moved a contrologix gateway and I see that there is a fault when I go on RSLinx. Everything is working fine and all communications are good. I am using RSLinx Pro (not gateway) and I get the following screen.

By the way, this is the system that faults out every time that I do an online edit from the data highway.

Any thoughts on how to clear or view this fault.

gatewayscreenshot.jpg

If you right-click on the DHRIO module and go to module configuration, you should be able to see fault code and description.
Also can you see any eroors on the front dispaly of the DHRIO?

Also this Faulty DHRIO is series C.
If I remember correctly it was some problem with ser C and A-B reccomended replace it with D.

Last edited:
There is no fault code if I right click on the module. The front of the module says A and B node OK. I did not know about the rev C problem. All I have in stock are Rev C. My AB guys will hopefully open tomorrow and I'll see what they say. I'm sure it's no more that a 2-4 week lead time!!! There use to be a Rev A in that slot, but the AB GTS recommended I replace it with this rev C last July. This was to try to fix the problem I have when I do an online edit over the DH+, it faults out the communications (not the processor).

Thanks for the help.

I see you are trying to clik on the module itself.
Try to select channel A or the secondary instance showing the error.

How much data going over this particular bridge segment?

Speaking of ser C - it is my mistake - I was thinking about 1756-CNB/C that Rockwell replaced with CNB/D

DHRIO/C - is the latest one - sorry.

Right-click on the module and select Module Configuration, not Device Status (those labels are from memory; I don't have the hardware handy).

Module Configuration is where you set up the Routing Tables and so forth for the module.

You mentioned that you recently moved the module.

1756-DHRIO module configuration includes the slot number the module is in. That configuration is saved in nonvolatile memory, so when you move the module, the slot number might not match. I think this is considered a major fault, but it's easy to fix; just set the slot number.

You might have already corrected this setting, but it's worth a mention.

Comms crash

Hi,

I have the same issue with a an Ethernet to DH+ gateway and when doing online mods the DH+ Crashes, the only way to geta round this is to disable the comms before doing an edit and then re-enable it, I have been on to rockwell several times about this but no cure as yet.

Just so you know you are not the only one.

Jules

I cannot see where I set the slot number of the module. There is a controller slot number that says 0 but it is the same on all 3 modules. There is a minor recoverable fault now but I'm still not sure how to recover. I have looked on every tab in the system but I can't find anything. I see there is a programming port on the front of the module, will that do anything and can I talk with RSLinx pro or do I need gateway?

Jules, I've had this for years. Instead of diabling comms, I do all my edits serially. I can't shut down my comms since there is product data passing thru all the time. Funny this is this only happens on the processor titled postmod not balance. It also happens on channel 3 which doesn't have a fault. Several AB GTS have shrugged their shoulders and basically have given up. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. All I ever hear is I've got plenty of these running and never have a problem.

picture in document1.jpg

The slot number of the module is stored in the Routing Table. The first time you click on the Routing Table tab in the DHRIO Module COnfiguration window, the software notifies you that the saved slot number and the actual slot number don't match (if that is the case) and that it's automatically being corrected.

Right-click on the 1756-DHRIO in RSWho and select Module Statistics. This might show you what is causing the Minor Fault.

Minor Faults often don't matter on the DHRIO module. On the one at my desk, it will always have a "Not Keyed" minor fault because it doesn't have an electronically keyed backplane connection to a controller. No big deal, and it doesn't affect the operation of the module.

Thanks, I will look at that as soon as I can get my plant started. 21 hours yesterday and I'm back today trying to code a plc change to the conveyors. Lack of sleep makes everything harder (was that an XIC or an XIO - it looks the same on the screen now). Since everything is running, I will chose not to break this at this time because I still have many other things broken. Why is it that a machine runs great, you shut it off for a couple of days and then it takes 8 hours to correct all the problems that popped up while it was off. If you don't shut it down, it will run forever. And why is it that everyone thinks that the plc program changes if it is off?

And why is it that everyone thinks that the plc program changes if it is off?

This was explained very eloquently to me by one of the meanest construction managers I ever met.

He had just finished telling my boss and the mill manager that the PLC program on this strandboard finishing line was "screwed up". The problem was in fact a damaged sensor.

I objected, telling him there was nothing wrong with the PLC program.

"Then why the hell is it that the first thing you did when you got here was open up that computer ?"

"Then why the hell is it that the first thing you did when you got here was open up that computer ?"

Sounds very familiar - I had a customer who did not let me open my laptop - "if you telling me nothing wrong with program, then fix this machine with scredriver and wire cutters. Do not connect computer!"

Thank godness I don't have to rely on going to other "customer" sites to do this kind of work. It's bad enough with a steady crew of guys (and girl) who are somewhat knowledgeable about plc programs. That still doesn't prevent the errant call at night saying the program is screwed up because they haven't been able to figure out how it works. I have enough trouble keeping track of all the different kinds of program styles for all the different kinds of machines. It took me all night and into today to do what I thought was a simple change of the program. If I had to do this at other places (on programs I didn't write) I would probably starve (or spend all my time here asking for advice). Thanks to all you people who care enough to be here and help some of us poor souls out. After 15 years I thought I would be able to contribute more but I'm happy I'm learning here.