Conversion from S5 system to S7 system

Rajan_UAE

Hi All , I am working for a project to convert S5 PLC to S7 PLC system for a Concrete Block making machine of OMAG . I request guidence and support from experts who have experience in OMAG PLC system

My best advice is to forget the S5 program. At the most it can be used for understanding what functionality there was in the old program.
If you try to migrate the S5 program to S7-1500 you get a mess that you don't know how it works and is impossible to maintain.
Create a completely new S7-1500 program using the latest programming standards.
It will take a lot of investigation to create a proper program description.
Just now I am finishing converting a PLC program to my own latest standard. Granted, the previous program was for S7-300 but it was written in such a way that I think it must have started its life as an S5 program. Took me 3 weeks of intensive programming.

My best advice is to forget the S5 program. At the most it can be used for understanding what functionality there was in the old program.
If you try to migrate the S5 program to S7-1500 you get a mess that you don't know how it works and is impossible to maintain.
Just now I am finishing converting a PLC program to my own latest standard. Granted, the previous program was for S7-300 but it was written in such a way that I think it must have started its life as an S5 program. Took me 3 weeks of intensive programming.

Agreed...I have to imagine that's the equivalent of converting a PLC5 program to CLX. I can't stand working on programs where someone's idea of an upgrade was to run the PLC5 to CLX conversion utility.

Hi Jesper, Many thanks to the reply. Yes, I will use the PLC5 program only for understanding. I have a backup of the program and trying to read using IBHsoftware. The problem is that parts of the program only open in STL where I can understand only ladder. Here I need help to find a way to convert all the logic to ladder

Don't focus on the STL code.
Instead, talk to people that have been running the machine. Read the user manual (if one exists), study all electrical and mechanical documentation.
Write a functional description how the machine is supposed to work.
Write a new program based on the functional description.
Only if you are in doubt what the machine is supposed to do, study the old code.

Don't focus on the STL code.
Instead, talk to people that have been running the machine. Read the user manual (if one exists), study all electrical and mechanical documentation.
Write a functional description how the machine is supposed to work.
Write a new program based on the functional description.
Only if you are in doubt what the machine is supposed to do, study the old code.
Hi Jespel
I will follow your suggestions. Since it is a block making machine the logic is complex and the operator is not able to describe the function exactly. So I need to study the old code as well. The constrain here now is to convert the STL code to ladder to make it understandable.

Not all STL code can be converted to ladder. My advise would be to look at each STL instruction in turn and try to understand what it does. Write yourself some comments against the code based on what each instruction does and reverse engineer it that way. If you're stuck understanding a spefic part then people here will be able to help you understand it.

Nick

What you may also find is even if you use the S5 > S7 conversion tool there may be some Siemens blocks being used, these will not convert, what often happens is the blocks appear in the S7 program but with no code some examples are things like their step flag sequence FB. so you have to try & understand what these blocks do (not easy as the code is often locked)

Not all STL code can be converted to ladder. My advise would be to look at each STL instruction in turn and try to understand what it does. Write yourself some comments against the code based on what each instruction does and reverse engineer it that way. If you're stuck understanding a spefic part then people here will be able to help you understand it.

Nick
Hi Nick, thank you for the valuable suggestion

What you may also find is even if you use the S5 > S7 conversion tool there may be some Siemens blocks being used, these will not convert, what often happens is the blocks appear in the S7 program but with no code some examples are things like their step flag sequence FB. so you have to try & understand what these blocks do (not easy as the code is often locked)
Hi , Thank you. I feel its arisky task

I would check if there are any Siemens standard blocks some like analogue ones can be easily got round others, not so easy.