Corona Virus Self Isolation Puzzle

L D[AR2P#0.0]

Lifetime Supporting Member
For anyone stuck in self isolation, here's a puzzle to keep you occupied.

Attached is a structured text function block that I wrote and used recently (in an S7-1500 plc), the puzzle is to determine what the function block would be used for.....

Not familiar with S7 Structured Text. What does the pound sign (#) before the variable names mean? I have never seen this with CoDeSys.

Not familiar with S7 Structured Text. What does the pound sign (#) before the variable names mean? I have never seen this with CoDeSys.

It tells that variable is inside of FC / FB block. On this it is located to STAT variables of FB.
Without # it would point outside from FB (like MW20 or DBWxx address directly which could be bad programming on FB if FB is multiused)

Is it considered bad practice to write to the outputs* at any point in the FB other than just before a RETURN**?

* Numerator and Denominator, in this case
** whether such RETURN is explicit or implicit

No experience with Siemens, nor have the software. I guess I'm stuck with Rockwell puzzles, and that will take a lifetime... Well, except when I'm dead, no more puzzles.

Is it considered bad practice to write to the outputs* at any point in the FB other than just before a RETURN**?

* Numerator and Denominator, in this case
** whether such RETURN is explicit or implicit

My answer to your question is no. I prefer to address the outputs at the bottom but I would not consider it bad practice.

But I think you meant addressing the outputs more than once and in this case I would agree.