CPU speed of Allen Bradley

CPU speed of Allen Bradley Controllers

Iman said:
CPU speed of Allen Bradley

Although the OP is inquiring about Allen Bradley controller CPUs with regard to their bit operation execution times, so as to compare with other brands, the thread title does suggest the question - what are the speeds of Allen Bradley controller CPUs, specifically the microprocessors themselves?

Seeing as some discussion has arisen from this topic, and for those interested, I though I'd add the following specs I have...

Ken Roach said:
...MicroLogix controllers run on Freescale ColdFire chips...

The MicroLogix 1000 CPU is a Allen Bradley's own Micro AB23126 chip.

The MicroLogix 1100 CPU is a RISC Freescale Coldfire MCF5282. Their package type is MAPBGA 256. 8Mhz OSC - Since this clock frequency is multiplied by PLL peripheral, MCF5282 V2 Core is working with the frequency 64Mhz(= 8Mhz * 8) internally.

Features...

ColdFire V2 core delivering 76 MIPS at 80 MHz (using Dhrystone 2.1) running from cache/RAM (max running from internal flash 66 MIPS)
Cache (KB): 2 KB I/D
Integrated peripherals
10/100 Ethernet MAC Fast Ethernet Controller (FEC)
CAN 2.0B
3 universal aynchronous receive/transmitters (UARTs) with direct memory access (DMA) capability
I²C
Queued serial peripheral interface (QSPI) with four peripheral chip selects
Eight-channel 10-bit queued analog-to-digital converter (ADC)
Four 32-bit timers with capture, compare and DMA capability
Eight 16-bit timer channels for capture, compare and pulse width modulation (PWM)
PITs: Four

The MicroLogix 1400 CPU is a RISC Freescale Coldfire MCF5275. Their package type is MAPBGA 256. 20.5632Mhz OSC - Since this clock frequency is multiplied by PLL peripheral, MCF5275 V2 Core is working with the frequency 164.5056Mhz(= 20.5632Mhz * 8) internally.

Features...

ColdFire V2 core with performance up to 159 (Dhrystone 2.1) MIPS @ 166 MHz
Enhanced multiplier-accumulator (eMAC) (32 x 32) module, hardware divide
8 KB and 16 KB configurable I-/D-cache
64 KB static random access memory (SRAM)
4-channel DMA and external DMA req/ack
DDR synchronous dynamic random access memory (SDRAM) controller
JTAG
Integrated peripherals:
Queued serial peripheral interface (QSPI)
Up to four pulse width modulators (PWMs)
Up to three universal asynchronous receiver/transmitters (UARTs)
Up to two 10/100 fast Ethernet controllers (Dual FEC)
Four 32-bit timers
Optional I²C
Optional USB 2.0 full-speed device
Optional four programmable interrupt timers (PITs)
Optional hardware encryption—RNG, DES, 3DES, AES, BCE, MD5, SHA-1, HMAC, hash Accelerator

CPU speed of Allen Bradley Controllers...Continued...

Ken roach said:
...I can't tell you as much about the ControlLogix, but it definitely has an optimized ASIC for running boolean operations faster than you could with an "off the shelf" Intel CPU of the same class. I believe it's based on an Intel architecture, but it's not a COTS chip...

CompactLogix controllers, such as the popular 1769-L32E, run on Freescale MCP855T PowerPC microprocessors, namely PowerQUICC. Incidently, 1756-ENxT also use this microprocessor. Their package type is PBGA 357. They use 32 Bit Power Architecture and feature 50MHz, SoC, CPM, ENET, ATM, HDLC, PCMCIA. They are the baby of the MCP860 PowerPC family.

Features...

Embedded MPC8xx core with 105 MIPS at 80 MHz (using Dhrystone 2.1)
4-Kbyte Instruction Cache
4-Kbyte Data Cache
8 Kb Dual Port RAM
Instruction and Data MMUs
Up to 32-Bit Data Bus (Dynamic Bus Sizing for 8, 16, and 32 Bits)
32 Address Lines
Complete Static Design (0-80 MHz Operation)
Memory Controller (Eight Banks)
General-Purpose Timers
System Integration Unit (SIU)
Interrupts
Communications Processor Module (RISC CPM)
Four Baud Rate Generators
One SCC (Serial Communication Controller)
Two SMCs (Serial Management Channels)
One SPI (Serial Peripheral Interface)
One I2C (Inter-Integrated Circuit) Port
Time-Slot Assigner
Parallel Interface Port
PCMCIA Interface
Low Power Support
Debug Interface
3.3 V Operation with 3.3V I/O

Older ControlLogix up to L6x run on Philips Semiconductor (now NXP) Atlas ARM RISC VY22575 microprocessors.

Features...

16-bit/32-bit ARM7TDMI-S microcontroller in a tiny LQFP48 package.
2 kB/4 kB/8 kB of on-chip static RAM and 8 kB/16 kB/32 kB of on-chip Bash program memory.
128-bit wide interface/accelerator enables high-speed 70 MHz operation.
ISP/IAP via on-chip bootloader software.
Single Bash sector or full chip erase in 100 ms and programming of 256 bytes in 1 ms.
EmbeddedICE RT offers real-time debugging with the on-chip RealMonitor software.
The 10-bit A/D converter provides eight analog inputs, with conversion times as low as 2.44 ms per channel and dedicated result registers to minimize interrupt overhead.
Two 32-bit timers/external event counters with combined seven capture and seven compare channels.
Two 16-bit timers/external event counters with combined three capture and seven compare channels.
Low power Real-Time Clock (RTC) with independent power and dedicated 32 kHz clock input.
Multiple serial interfaces including two UARTs (16C550), two Fast I2C-buses
(400 kbit/s), SPI and SSP with buffering and variable data length capabilities.
Vectored interrupt controller with configurable priorities and vector addresses.
Up to thirty-two 5 V tolerant fast general purpose I/O pins.
Up to 13 edge or level sensitive external interrupt pins available.
70 MHz maximum CPU clock available from programmable on-chip PLL with a
possible input frequency of 10 MHz to 25 MHz and a settling time of 100 ms.
On-chip integrated oscillator operates with an external crystal in the range from 1 MHz to 25 MHz.
Power saving modes include Idle mode, Power-down mode with RTC active, and Power-down mode.
Individual enable/disable of peripheral functions as well as peripheral clock scaling for additional power optimization.
Processor wake-up from Power-down mode via external interrupt or RTC.

All I know of the new ControlLogix L7x CPUs is that they are Dual Core custom CPU. o_O

I would imagine they are along the lines of the Freescale QorIQ P2020 Dual Core feature-wise...

Features...

Dual high-performance Power Architecture® e500 cores, 32 KB L1 cache, up to 1.33 GHz
32/64-bit DDR2/DDR3 SDRAM memory controller with ECC support
512 KB L2 cache with ECC. Also configurable as SRAM and stashing memory
Three 10/100/1000 Mbps enhanced three-speed Ethernet controllers (eTSECs)
High-speed interfaces supporting various multiplexing options:
Four SerDes up to 3.125 GHz multiplexed across controllers
Two PCI Express® interfaces
Two Serial RapidIO® interfaces
Two SGMII interfaces
Dual high-speed USB controllers (USB 2.0)
Integrated security engine
Protocol support includes SNOW, ARC4, 3DES, AES, RSA/ECC, RNG, single-pass SSL/TLS, Kasumi, XOR acceleration
eLBC, eSDHC, Dual I²C, DUART, PIC, DMA, GPIO
Package: 689-pin temperature-enhanced plastic BGA (TEPBGA2)
0C to 125C Tj -40C to 125C Tj option

Attached is a layout of the P2020 architecture.

George

Dual_Core_PLC_CPU.jpg

Last edited:
CPU speed of Allen Bradley Controllers...Continued...

Ken Roach said:
...The PLC-5...ran several Motorola 68000 series microprocessors...MicroLogix controllers run on Freescale ColdFire chips...

Some more trivia...

Where did Freescale come from?...

The original Motorola MC68000 (sixty-eight-k transistors) was fabricated using an HMOS process with a 3.5 µm feature size. Formally introduced in September 1979, initial samples were released in February 1980, with production chips available over the counter in November. Initial speed grades were 4, 6, and 8 MHz. 10 MHz chips became available during 1981, and 12.5 MHz chips by June 1982. The 16.67 MHz "12F" version of the MC68000, the fastest version of the original HMOS chip, was not produced until the late 1980s.

Several other companies were second-source manufacturers of the HMOS 68000. These included Hitachi (HD68000), who shrank the feature size to 2.7 µm for their 12.5 MHz version, Mostek (MK68000), Rockwell (R68000), Signetics (SCN68000), Thomson/SGS-Thomson (originally EF68000 and later TS68000), Toshiba (TMP68000).

The 68000 also saw success in the field of industrial control systems. Among the systems which benefited from having a 68000 or derivative as their microprocessor were families of Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs) manufactured by Allen-Bradley, Texas Instruments and subsequently, following the acquisition of that division of TI, by Siemens. Users of such systems do not accept product obsolescence at the same rate as domestic users and it is entirely likely that despite having been installed over 20 years ago, many 68000-based controllers will continue in reliable service well into the 21st century.

Motorola ceased production of the HMOS MC68000 and MC68008 in 1996, but its spin-off company, Freescale Semiconductor, were still producing the MC68HC000, MC68HC001, MC68EC000, and MC68SEC000, as well as the MC68302 and MC68306 microcontrollers and later versions of the DragonBall family. The 68000's architectural descendants, the 680x0, CPU32, and Coldfire families, were also still in production. More recently, with the Sendai fab closure, all 68HC000, 68020, 68030, and 68882 parts has been discontinued, leaving only the 68SEC000 in production.

The Freescale ColdFire is a microprocessor that derives from the Motorola 68000 family architecture, manufactured for embedded systems development by Freescale Semiconductor (formerly the semiconductor division of Motorola).

The ColdFire instruction set is "assembly source" compatible (by means of translation software available from the vendor) and not entirely object code compatible with the 68000. When compared to classic 68k hardware, the instruction set differs mainly in that it no longer has support for the binary-coded decimal (BCD) packed data format; it removes a number of other, less used instructions; and most instructions that are kept support fewer addressing modes. Also, floating point intermediates are 64 bits and not 80 bits as in the 68881 and 68882 coprocessors. The instructions are only 16, 32, or 48 bits long, a simplification compared to the 68000 series.

There are five generations, or versions of the ColdFire available from Freescale:

v1: Intended to support migration from 8-bit microcontrollers, it is a cut-down version of the v2 processor-wise. It was launched in 2006, 12 years after the original ColdFire. It is designed to easily replace the 8-bit Freescale 68HC08 microcontrollers and compete with low-end ARM chips.
v2: The original ColdFire core launched in 1994. Single-issue pipeline, no MMU, no FPU. Versions are also available with MAC and enhanced MAC units.
(Used in MicroLogix Controllers)
v3: Added an optional MAC unit.
v4: Limited superscalar core.
v4e (or eV4 in some documents): Enhanced version of the v4, launched in 2000. Adds optional MMU, FPU, and enhanced MAC unit to the architecture.
v5: Fully superscalar core.

Tom Gunter, retired Corporate Vice President at Motorola, is known as the "Father of the 68000".

I remember reading a story a few years ago about a group of engineers who, back in the 70's, jumped ship from Motorola to join another company, MOS Technology, which Allen Bradley had a large stake in. They started designing a chip to surpass Motorola's 6800 microprocessor, the 6501. Once they sucessfully released their 6501, and subsequent 6502 microprocessors, they soon got the attention of Motorola, who slapped an injunction on them and filed a lawsuit claiming patent infringement. They had even taken some documents from Motorola while leaving. Allen Bradley sold back their stake and washed their hands of them. They lost that case, of course, and had to pay out a couple $100k, as well as drop the 6501. They were eventually taken over by Commodore, and their 6502 carried on to great success. It was used in many of the game consoles of the day including, Commodore, Apple, Atari, etc.

Did you know...

The HUD display for the Terminator T-800 Model-101 was assembly code from a 6502! 💀

Trivia splurge over...

George

Terminator_6502_screen_dump.jpg

DANG !

Great information, George. I was in a field sales office and that kind of detail just wasn't available to us.

I have very fond memories of 6502 assembler.