Crimson widget not saving image

Nebul0us

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi everyone,

I am using Crimson 3.0 to edit a project file created by a vendor. I have created a widget, and spent some time figuring out that the attribute name in the widget properties has to exactly match the tag name otherwise the folder binding wont work correctly.

The last issue that I am having is that the animated image isn't being saved with the widget. So when I bring in another instance of the new widget, the image is blank. Can anyone help me figure out how to save the image with the widget? If it's not possible then can anyone help figure out how to save the image in the project to my PC so that it can be used again?

Last edited:
dVLHgWZ.png

X2AHJlD.png

I don't know if there are any specific issues with using images in widgets, but you should make sure that the database stores its image data rather than referencing external files.

You already have the graphic saved to your PC--in the screenshot from your original post. Just use Paint to crop around it, and you can import it back into Crimson (using Browse in the Image primitive).

include.png

I don't know if there are any specific issues with using images in widgets, but you should make sure that the database stores its image data rather than referencing external files.

You already have the graphic saved to your PC--in the screenshot from your original post. Just use Paint to crop around it, and you can import it back into Crimson (using Browse in the Image primitive).

So I checked the setting you highlighted and it's already configured as "Yes" for "Include Data"

I've tried going to "Manage Image Database" also and exporting the image from there but it gives me an error "Unable to create directory."

I'd rather not have to use Paint ever again in my life, if possible :ROFLMAO:

I'd really like to know if a widget can save an image file. Seems pretty silly if it can't

So you have saved (filed) the widget, and then from the resource pane widgets category dragged a new instance of said widget onto the page, but its contents are missing the image. Do I have that correct?

I did a quick test in Build 707 using images from the Symbol library and everything seems to be working correctly.

I am curious if your widget would save with the images if they were from the symbol library but also would consider that possibly your saved widget was created with the image missing and later updated to include it.

So the first thing I would try is to re-save a known good widget and overwrite the one that is already in the widgets folder at C:\ProgramData\Red Lion Controls\Crimson\3.0\Widgets. Click on the properly populated widget and use the Organize > Save Widget menu command or CTRL+Q.

Then test it by dragging a new instance from the Resource Widget pane. If that doesn't fix it, try using an image from the symbol library and save the widget again. There is a similar checkbox in the symbol library you could use filed under "Misc. Symbols 2".

Also I have run into a quirk in Crimson 3.1 where if you leave one of the animated images blank (as in your screen shot for image 0), at runtime, if the image select tag changes from 1 to 0, the image from state 1 will remain visible. That is a relatively new problem that was not present on older builds of Crimson 3.1 and I don't know if that "feature" exists on Crimson 3.0.

I have had to resort to making small rectangles of my background color to put in animated image objects where I want to show nothing at runtime.

One more tip if you hate MSPaint, try www.getpaint.net. I love that freeware bitmap editor for many more things than diddling with HMI graphics.

Last edited: