Ctrlogix and ASCII

bobwithdana

Can anyone help me with a program example on how to send say 9 numbers and letters through an 1734-232ASC ASCII module to a serial device using a 5555 Contrologix system. As a PLC 5 programmer I am having a hard time configuring the data tables necessary to do this.

What kind of network are you using to connect the 1734-232ASC to the ControlLogix ? It's really easy to organize the data when you're using the ControlNet and EtherNet/IP adapters to connect to the Logix.

When you're using DeviceNet, there's a little more organization to be done to get the header data organized.

I just did an application with one of these with an AENT Ethernet/IP adapter the other day and it was pretty easy once I got the framing and delimiter settings correct.

Feel free to, you know, expound on your answers a little.

There are several different POINT I/O adapters and they each work a little differently.

1734-PDN just passes through the DeviceNet signals to the POINT backplane and the POINT modules appear as DeviceNet nodes themselves.

1734-ADN appears as a DeviceNet node that aggregates all the data from the attached POINT modules into I/O assemblies.

1734-ADNX does the same thing as the 1734-ADN, plus allowing attachment of additional DeviceNet network devices as well as the POINT modules.

1734D PointBlock appears as a DeviceNet node and has it's own onboard I/O and data assemblies, then passes the DeviceNet signals on to the POINT backplane where the POINT modules appear as separate nodes.

So, which one of these are you using, and how many (and of what type) other POINT modules are attached to the same network ?

I know you're a ControlLogix newcomer, but the DeviceNet stuff isn't bad once you get used to the data mapping.

It would also be good to know if you're using variable-length data, or have to append a carriage-return or other data to your ASCII string.

I have (2) 1734-ASCII point I/O Modules mounted to the side of A 1734-ADN Devicenet adapter. The first ASCII Module will send ( 1 letter and 7 numbers ) to a Telesis Dot Pin Printer. The seven digit number will be generated in the PLC and increment each cycle. The second ASCII Module will recieve the same information from a Telesis scanner once the printer has printed just to verify the number printed was correct.

We have several of these identical systems working properly using A PLC-5 with RB-Modules. I know the Controligx system I have will work as we are duplicating a systen from another plant. I used RSNetworx for devicenet and commisioned the Devicenet and ascII modules. I know I have the correct parameter settings for the ASCII Modules. I think the problem is Mapping the Data in the Contrologix. I have done it using supplied documentation, When I [cop] the Data to the proper address the Telesis printer does recieve something but gives an error stating the data is incorrect ETC.

Im not sure this problem can be solved here but any comments or ideas as to what direction I need to proceed in will be appreciated.

Thanks Bob