ASCII Commands on a Ctrlogix 1769-L23E QB

CBowman

Hey Everyone,

I'm trying to communicate to an external device using ASCII Read and Write commands with RSLogix 5000. I need to Write an ASCII command to get the device to start spitting out an ASCII output, then I need to Read that output.

The termination of my ASCII string is <cr><lf> but I'm not certain how or where to configure this in RSLogix.

I've attached the sample program for review if anyone can give me some ideas.

Do you need to send "S3UH<CR><LF>", for a total of six bytes ?

How fast do the replies come, and what length are they ? Are they also terminated with <CR> <LF> ?

I'm not at a RSLogix machine right now, but I do know the STRING tag editor in RSLogix5000 allows you to put control characters in.

Failing that, if you are using a SINT array for your ASCII data, put these as your terminators....

16#0D = <cr>
16#0A = <lf>

I spent a little time refreshing my recollection of the ASCII instruction set. It's very important to remember that only one ASCII instruction can execute at a time, so it's easy to accidentally jam the buffer full.

Set the serial port User mode settings back to defaults; you want both the Append and Termination bytes to be #1= $r and #2 $l. Those are Carriage Return and Line Feed.

Here's a short example, written for a 1756-L55 with v16 firmware. I don't have a v17 controller handy.

Thanks Ken!

I will head back to the PLC now and see what happens. I think I have the termination and append settings wrong, so hopefully that will help!

Daba, thanks for your input as well. I will take this and see what I can do.