Danfoss Drive FC300 Earth fault

No, with two motors it's not possible to do an AMA.

The do a Three-finger-reset
Power off the drive, wait until the LCP is turned off.
Then press Status, Main Menu and OK at the same time and power up the drive.
After 5 s release the keys.

This sets back the drive to default settings and also recalibrates the current transducers.

Best regards,

Michal_dk

Are you certain you have no earth fault?

I know you stated you tested and had 7Mohms... I once had a situation where a drive was tripping intermittently and testing fine. I eventually traced to the glanding of the local isolator, a nick in a motor tail to the metal SWA gland, only showing due to machine vibration!

Is the motor cabling passing through a damp area?

Have you got a spare drive?

;.

I have no spare drive. And my boss is kinda evading this problem and solution for now is reconnecting cables inside this drive.
If my cables were "leaking" earth current there should be persistent problem or some correlations must appear with machine vibration or humidity and earth fault, but this does not explain how problem disappears for few days when internal cables of drive are reconnected. I cant simply ignore this fact and assume there is leakage somewhere I only can suspect faulty drive electronics.

Thx for answers

Last edited:
Danfoss earth leak error

Hi all,
I had this a while ago on a VLT5000. The chap at Danfoss gave me some instructions to follow.
Disconnect motor from inverter.
Run the inverter and change display status to Amps.
If it reads 0.01 amps its good, if it reads 0.5 amps or higher then upload your parameters.
Hold the 'Display status, menu, change data and OK' keys simultaneously for 10 seconds.
Cycle the power and then download your parameters again.
This worked for me. Obviously if your not using a VLT5000 then your keys may be different, perhaps Danfoss can advise you of the correct keys on the 300 series unit.

thanks for the reply Nightex much appreciated.
I had assumed you were doing something with the internals of the drive.
This is a worthwhile point to other future readers of this post.
Please Include such details as Comms/setup method to the drive.
I was looking at a cause for the specified fault.
When you consider you changed the drive and the motor - there is the alternative assumption (comms)

Well done in solving it

After replacing internal cable there was no problems for three weeks now. Before that I was disconnecting and connecting that bus, two times a week.

I changed that cable which connects board of display and main board. Problem was 14 alarm earth fault.

After replacing internal cable there was no problems for three weeks now. Before that I was disconnecting and connecting that bus, two times a week.

I changed that cable which connects board of display and main board. Problem was 14 alarm earth fault.
Can you explain further to which cable was changed?

Hi Nightex,

I will give this a try. I have 15 66kW VFD's and I seem to keep getting this error.

What kind of environment are your drives in?? I have drives that may/do get some exposure to ammonia, this usually causes copper to oxidize rather fast and may be causing the issue that is your hypothesis.

The drive model I have is a FC 102 and it has 3 ribbon/belt cables in it.

I will try them one at a time and see what happens.

Currently I have a drive disconnected from a motor and running. It was giving the earth fault alarm, I re-initialized the drive ( trying to re-zero the current sensors according to danfoss tech bulletin-10 common faults with the VFD). The drive is still giving the earth fault. I will try replacing one of the 3 cables at a time to see if I can isolate which one is giving me the grief. I will start with the one from the board with the current sensors.

Thanks,

Brent

Hi Nightex,

I will give this a try. I have 15 66kW VFD's and I seem to keep getting this error.

What kind of environment are your drives in?? I have drives that may/do get some exposure to ammonia, this usually causes copper to oxidize rather fast and may be causing the issue that is your hypothesis.

The drive model I have is a FC 102 and it has 3 ribbon/belt cables in it.

I will try them one at a time and see what happens.

Currently I have a drive disconnected from a motor and running. It was giving the earth fault alarm, I re-initialized the drive ( trying to re-zero the current sensors according to danfoss tech bulletin-10 common faults with the VFD). The drive is still giving the earth fault. I will try replacing one of the 3 cables at a time to see if I can isolate which one is giving me the grief. I will start with the one from the board with the current sensors.

Thanks,

Brent
Yes my danfoss VFD VLT 6000 (if I remember correctly) also works in amonia enviroment (compost farm). Once we had same problem on FC300 series, but I dont remmember what Ive done or maybe it just disappeared. Not so long ago there was same problem with another VLT 22kW, we replaced cables no problems till now. We also have 24x danfoss vlt 6000 55kW in amonia free enviroment now running about 10 years with few issues, and only one drive of 24 was with 14 alarm earth fault. Vry reliable equipment. Problems with VFD ventilator in dust enviroment are common, you have to change ventilator bearings and capacitor. Good that these drives have internal overtemp. protection.

A common problem, especially with installations where there is one drive feeding multiple motors, is that the cables going from the drive to the motors can exhibit the properties of capacitance between them because of the steep rise time of the PWM pulses. The longer the circuit length the more likely that is to happen, but often times the manuals will only state that as the distance between the drive and motor. On multi-motor applications, that circuit length is multiplied by the number of motors. So if, for example, the maximum stated distance from drive-to-motor is 100m, but you are only 60m, you think you are fine, but in reality your CIRCUIT length is 120m.

So what happens is that the capacitive charging current in that circuit APPEARS to the VFD protection algorithms to be a Residual Current Ground Fault, meaning Ix amount of current is flowing out, Ix-n is returning. The assumption in the algorithm is that n is current flowing to ground, when in reality it is just charging up the capacitor you have created in the conductors.

The cure for that is a load reactor, because by adding inductance to the circuit closer to the VFD, you slow down the steep rise time of the PWM pulses and help reduce the capacitive effect in the cables.

If it was working fine and suddenly began exhibiting this behavior, then look for something that has changed. One thing that exacerbates this phenomenon is when people mess with the Carrier Frequency in the VFD so as to make the motors run "quieter". Increasing the carrier frequency above 10kHz doesn't really make the motor stop whining, but it does move the sound frequency out of the range of human hearing. However at the same time, it will INCREASE the capacitive coupling effect in the circuit conductors.

Last edited: