Data Regs from AB PF700 to SLC500 via RIO

ian.smith7

Hi All
I am trying to extract data from an AB Powerflex 700 connected to a SLC505 via a rio link. The first datalink PF700 register is already used and working ok and I know how to set up the other 2 i want in the inverter. What I am having trouble with is which data reg that data will appear in the SLC.
The first data link (16 bit, 1/2link) appears in M1.212, will the next data link appear in M1.213 or 4 and so on.
The transfer is controlled by MOV & COP commands to & from M0 & M1.

Any help is appreciated
Ian Smith

Second try with more info

Hi All
Still struggling trying to get these Datalinks working so here is a second post with what I have done so far.
In the Powerflex700 inverter RIO adapter I have enabled Datalinks 2 & 3 (DataLink 1 is already used).This was done via the PF700 HMI 20-Comm-R Interface PAR #12 bits 0-4 set to 1 followed by a reset.
In the PF700 Datalinks out B1 & C1 set to 4 & 6 which are the two values I want extract. I am only using half of the available 32bits (B1 & C1).
Here is the code from the PLC I need to modify

R_0_1.GIF

R_2_3.GIF

Data Regs N150:1 = 14 & N150:2 = 200 both set in another subroutine. This Arrangement successfully transfers the Power in KWx10 to N150:11.

So Just the changes in the PF700 did not make the data appear in any N150 Data reg. I tried changing the copy function in Rung 3 to length 28 (although I think all 4 Datalainks should be in the first 18 data words). This did not work.
I did not try anything else but rung 1 is drawing my attention. Is this telling the RIO card where to put the data and if so should I alter the lower MOV instruction to a COP instruction with a length of XX (06??)to include the extra data regs in this transfer (how was data reg 12 in the RIO specified?). There Are Unused Data regs up to N159:99.
Or do I need to write code for additional transfers.
Is it possible to use the newer BTR instructions alongside the existing code?
This is the first time I have used RIOs & Data links so I am a bit lost and Have just about gleaned all I can from the Manuals.

Any Help Out There Please.
Cheers
Ian

I'd ditch that old method and use the BTR/BTWs....MUCH EASIER. To get three 16bit data links plus the speed feedback(defaults to word 0), you'll need to do a BTR of length 8. The data will be:

Word 0 = Speed Feedback
Word 2 = A1
Word 4 = B1
Word 6 = C1

I just commissioned 20 PF70's and 700's on two scanner modules with no issues using the BTR/BTWs.

Hi Robert

Thanks for the reply
There are a lot of politics around this machine (which is only 2 years old) and the lack of support from the manufacturers. I am a maintenance tech on the plant and I am reluctant to make large changes to the program.
I am hoping that a few minor mods will achieve my aims, Although larger mods could be on the cards at a later date.

Is anyone familiar with these old school instructions?

The BTR/BTW instructions are a new interface to the same function can I mix the old & new?

Cheers
ian

You should be able to do an additional BTR instruction to get the data you need. You don't need a BTW as that's already accomplished through the old logic.

Just set up a single rung with a BTR. Populate the Rack, Group, Slot (0) info that points to your PF700 Rack and Group #. Your scanner module appears to be in Slot 1 from the M0 file you used. Use an unused N control word that's three words long (N7:0 to N7:2 eg). Use an unused N Data word that's 8 words long (N7:3 to N7:10 eg). Your BTR logic would then be:

XIO N7:0/12 XIO N7:0/13 BTR Rack # Group # 0 N7:0 N7:3 M1:1.XXX 8 0 3

Set XXX to an unused buffer file (probably 1000 is safe).

The result will be:

N7:3 = Speed Feedback
N7:5 = A1
N7:7 = B1
N7:9 = C1

PS....That's assuming your PF700 is setup for 1/4 rack. If it is 1/2 rack, then the Speed Feedback is in the I/O and A1 through C1 will be shifted up and start at N7:3...N7:9 would then have D1.

Thanks Robert That is a Great Help,

The PF700 is set up as a 1/2 rack.
I will give that a try asap.
Cheers
ian smith