Data transfer between 1769 controllers

Negrutc2016

Hi Guys,

I am relatively new with the PLC's and even newer with A-B. I need to establish Ethernet communication between two controllers to exchange data between them. One is a 1769-L32E and the other one is a 1769-L35E. I tried using Message command but I am getting Error No 1 with Extended error code 204. This means they do not communicate. I do not know what I am doing wrong.
Second question is: do I need to do a message send in one PLC and a message receive on the other one? That's how I've done it in Siemens S7-300.

Thanks
TB

Welcome to the forum!

The good news is, you don't need a message instruction at both ends. The better news is, you don't need one at either end! Look up produced/consumed tags; that's by far the easiest way to send data between two Compact Logix controllers (or any other controller that uses the Logix 5000 platform). I almost never use MSG between Logix PLC's any more, too much of a headache.

Basic sequence of how it works:
1. Create a tag in the source PLC, and make it a PRODUCED tag
2. Add the source PLC into the ethernet tree of your destination PLC
3. Create a tag in the destination PLC of the same type as your produced tag in your source PLC (i.e. if your source PLC produced tag is a DINT, make it a DINT. If your source tag is an array of 20 REAL's, make this tag REAL[20] as well). Set this tag up to be a CONSUMED tag, and point it to the source PLC and enter the tag name of the produced tag in your source PLC
4. ???
5. Profit!

If you do a bit of reading and look through the help file for produced/consumed tags you should be able to get it working, it's pretty straightforward. But if you get stuck anywhere, let us know where and we'll try to help out! (may not be able to help with #5)

Hi

Can you go Online to both plcs at the same time, I always do this first to make sure all the cables are good.
Do you know the IP address of the two plcs

Donnchadh