Datalog ControlLogix PLC to CSV file

Rockwell solution

...designed and streamlined exclusively for one purpose, data collection...

If RSLinx can poll and store 1700 16-bit integers from 12 different data sources at a rate of 15 - 20 ms without a dedicated data collection network, then useful data with a useful timestamp would be stored in the database without using the existing PLC code that detects changes in data.

If RSLinx can poll 4 32-bit integers from 12 different data sources at a rate of 1 second or so, then the data can be processed while inside the database to change the timestamp to the timestamp stored in the data, then useful data would be stored in the database.

It really is that simple...
I'd be happy with data stored right now. Forgive my paranoia, but I'll believe it when I see it

????????

I believe the point I was trying to make is the one you have just stated within your last post: using a dedicated data collection system, completely separate from the controller's application is the way to go. RSLinx is just the data server; the container the data is deposited into is a database; RSLinx Classic + Database = Dedicated Data Collection System

You could use any database and data server you find feasable for the project at hand; Python/RSLinx Classic probably will do very well...We went FT Historian/RSLinx Enterprise/RSLinx Classic since I personally believe in maintaining the same "Code DNA"...It's just another way to "skin this cat"... :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Misunderstanding?

????????

using a dedicated data collection system, completely separate from the controller's application is the way to go.

... :ROFLMAO:

I guess I was confused. I read your message several times and did not understand how you were suggesting to log the 4 registers from each ControlLogix PLC.

Re-reading your earlier message after reading your last message, I had missed your point - which appears to be 'put in a dedicated datalogging system'.

I'm still exploring the IBA and Ignition solutions. If I can log the exception data that I already have, then process it offline when I'm troubleshooting ... it's better than what I do now.

I don't have UPS power in all of the buildings that the fiber passes through. Controlnet on a ring needs just patch cords if there is no local equipment ... and the messages eventually get around the ring to where they need to be. Ethernet doesn't do rings - I need a switch to branch out to different buildings from a common point. Pulling in new cables for UPS power, pulling new feeders from the nearest 600V standby generator ... it's a lot tougher to sell.