DC 1/2HP Drive

DBLD99

Anyone use a small DC Drive 1/2Hp 0.66kW @90Vdc, Field 1 Amp 0.9x ac supply

I have been using the Bardac K680i - but have always had problems with them.

I would really love one that had some type of communications on it - that would talk with a CLX.

Anyone use a small DC Drive 1/2Hp 0.66kW @90Vdc, Field 1 Amp 0.9x ac supply

I have been using the Bardac K680i - but have always had problems with them.

I would really love one that had some type of communications on it - that would talk with a CLX.

I am sure that is possible, but it is probably an expensive option, especially for just one Motor. If you have multiple VFDs and DC Drives, it might be worth it. I usually put multiple VFDs on DeviceNet, RIO, or other Communications Bus if I can.

Stu....

It might be expensive - But I am building 20 panels that will have 1 DC drive in them. I have to put in an analog card now to reference the drive and get feedback. So I would save 20 Combo/ Analog cards also.

It might be expensive - But I am building 20 panels that will have 1 DC drive in them. I have to put in an analog card now to reference the drive and get feedback. So I would save 20 Combo/ Analog cards also.

Well, Analog Cards can be useful for other things. However, if there is no immediate or projected future need for the other Channels, they are an expensive option also.

What Communications method were you thinking of, or have available in your CLX?

Stu....

Why DC? Is this a single phase 120v plug-in machine?
We use Minarik drives with very few problems on old machines that still have DC drives (some of which run off a 120v/20a wall socket). I don't think they offer any comms options aside from hardwiring though.

Last edited:
I have used Dart DC drives, and controlled them over comms. I think it was just ascii commands over a RS-485 link. The comms were good, but the speed control was bad. We mounted the speed sensor on the output shaft after all gearing. The PID parameters in the drive couldn't properly react to this setup. I think it would have been fine if the speed sensor were on the motor shaft.