DDE Link in Excel - L1, C1 not working

soop7667

I'm using DDE/OPC Links in excel to aquire data from a 5/04 over a DH+ Network.

As I understand it, after your topic, and address you have L1 = Length and C1 = Columns. So If I put an address of N7:0 and a L9, C1 I should get N7:0 - N7:9 in 10 seperate rows - OR -
If I had N7:0 and a L9, C9 I SHOULD get N7:0 - N:79 in 10 Columns.

That's how I THINK it's supposed to work...BUT...It's not working like that on my excel sheet. SO Am I missing something here or is something screwed up? No matter what I put for L and C It remains the same single link in the same single cell.

The help file in Excel will tell you how to set up a DDE topic. The formula looks like this:

=RSLINX|PLCNAME!ADDRESS

Notes:

1. RSLinx (anything but RSLinx Lite, I think) must be running.

2. PLCNAME is an OPC/DDE topic that you must configure FIRST in RSLinx.

3. The format of ADDRESS may not be the N7:0 format that you are used to. Check the help file in RSLinx, regarding DDE topics in a SLC controller.

4. The formula above will only allow you to read data from the processor. You'll need to write a macro if you want to write data.

5. This subject has been covered before. Look around the site a bit.

Good luck,
AK

Can you cite the reference for your "L1, C1" ideas. I have only seen Excel perform a single retrieval using akreel's format. To get multiple items a macro had to be developed to cycle through the remote references and the local target cells.

It's a matter of how you paste it into Excel. Instead of highlighting a single cell, highlight a column of ten cells.

Remember to start counting at zero in the controller, even though Excel numbers cells starting at 1.

RSLinx|Controller!N7:0,L10,C10

will give you N7:0 through N7:9 inclusive in a column.

I've been able to do this without highlighting all the cells I'm going to use, just the upper-left cell of the block. Make sure you're doing a "paste special" and selecting "paste link" from the window that pops up, or it won't work right.

For detailed information, refer to RSLinx Help under DDE and look at the "generic item format" heading. I don't know if all the optionals work in Excel, but it's certainly more than I've ever needed.

BTW, I LOVE using DDE (never tried OPC) and Macros in Excel for troubleshooting and monitoring data. I've impressed quite a few electricians and engineers where I work with the spreadsheets I work up. :)

Hope this helps!

P.S. CAN you even use OPC in Excel? I'm not very familiar with it.

Last edited:
TCIG said:
P.S. CAN you even use OPC in Excel? I'm not very familiar with it.

I think the links you create as cell formulas are all DDE.
But, if you write a Visual Basic macro, those links are OPC.

I'd be lying if I said I knew the difference. On the surface, they're very similar.
As long as they work the way you need them to, who cares if it's DDE, OPC, or Semaphore, anyway?

AK

I think Ken Roach and TCIG have the idea on what I'm asking for...Sounds like I HAVE to PAST THE LINK and not type in the link Is that correct? And BTW TCIG - Care to post any of those excel sheets here? I'm doing pretty much the same here - I'll include The Current project I'm working on as an attachment. In My VBA Code you may have some problems with the File Path - Just edit the path throughout the entire VBA Project.

Forgot to include the sound files - I will attach on the next post - I forgot to mention theres some Wav sounds accosiated with this file.

Last edited: