Dead 5 gallon bottle filler

Matco said:
No, the LED for 0100 is not lit. There is an alarm LED that is on continuously and when the machine is turned on with the drive switch that input LED is on...
It's not clear if the Alarm LED is the PLC Alarm.

1) Alarm LED on PLC
2) One of the PLC Outputs labeled 'Alarm'.
3) Alarm LED on the servo drive (if it has one).

I'm not sure I know exactly what you mean but in one of the responses I was sent a link to the omron manuals. In the quide for the c28 it shows that the alarm and error come through the same led. If it is blinking it is and alarm and if it is continuous it means a fatal error has occured? That is the way I understand it anyway. On a different note, what kind of new controller would be suitable for a machine like this? It is really pretty simple as far as machines go. It washes, fills, and caps 3 or 5 gallon bottles. It fills a 5 gallon every 36 seconds. You can see a similar machine on steelheads website ( steelheadinc.com ). The closest one to this one would be the ultra 75. Thanks for all the info

A lot of machine maunfactures will put a light on the machine... an error light, they create the logic in the PLC that will make this light come on (ie. if this part does not do xx or if the plc does not see xx input) also PLC manufacture will make an error light for their PLC (ie. no communication or no program)

If it on the PLC then there is a good chance that you lost your program.

Just about any PLC will do the job for you, so if you don't have software or a preference, then I would look at www.automationdirect.com

They have very good prices and VERY fast on shipping, they also have very reasonable HMI's that you should look at http://web5.automationdirect.com/adc/Overview/Catalog/Operator_Interfaces/C-more_Micro-Graphic_Panels

There are many people that can help you with programming, the software for the HMI is free and the PLC is free limited to 100 words

The Alarm LED is on solid. That is a fatal fault with the PLC. If they used an EPROM, then the program is intact, and the PLC is bad. Replace the PLC with another from eBay. That way, you don't have to rewire and replace/reprogram HMI.
If they only used a battery, then the program is lost and we need to start over. I can't believe someone would ship a machine with the program in battery-backed CMOS only. That assures death in 5 years. Steelhead specifically states on their website that their machines last longer than 5 years.

First, you need a PLC guy to check that one to see where you stand (Question #1 - Do we still have a program?).
Is the price for a new PLC from Steelhead high? That's your budget for a new PLC and recreating the program.

This machine appears simple on the surface, but there's quite a bit happening inside.
The C28K has 12 outputs. It's reported 11 are used. That sounds about right. Based on the specs for an Ultra 75, the machine cycles are wash, rinse/sterilize, fill, and cap. Robot arm transfers bottle. Ram for capping. Simple HMI with keypad and 4 line LCD. (Datasheet has quite a bit of info on hardware, including PLC used).

The lowest cost approach would be to use another C28K to avoid having to reprogram the HMI (unless the HMI is dumb and had significant code in the PLC). If they used battery-backed alone, the PLC is probably okay, and only a new battery is needed. Upgrade to an EEPROM so this doesn't happen again.
If you opt for a new PLC, then the battery issue goes away. Nothing available today uses battery alone for program storage.

Sounds like a fun job, but I'm in Texas. Because you have schematics and operation manual, there's enough information to assume 100% success without any help from Steelhead.

Last edited:
keithkyll said:
...If they used an EPROM, then the program is intact, and the PLC is bad. Replace the PLC...

Not all the time... you can loose some of the parameters in a S5 and other PLC's and the PLC will go into fault due to the battery being bad, but you just need to reset the fault and it will reload the eprom program, the majority of the PLCs only look at the eprom once, then never again until told to do so.

If there are switches on the PLC you can look for a reset sequence to reset it. Allen Bradley SLC (minor faults) turn the key switch to program then back to run, a Siemens S5 hold the top toggle switch on the down position then toggle the lower switch, this will reset the PLC... there may be something like this with this type of PLC.

Just a WAG...

Matco,

I will call you later this morning, and we can work out how to proceed. I have the software, but I'm not sure which cable is used, and what the pinout would be. Any Omron experts know if it's just a plain rs232 or null modem, or some exotic cable?

Host link is a special communication module. No longer sold by Omron. Ebay has them from time to time, 50 to 150$