Deleting Bit data files

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello, again. I was trying to delete a bit file (B3:1/3) in the ladder, and it will only delete the entire rung, not just the bit file. I have a SLC500 w/ 5/03 processor, have the cpu in "program" mode but I can't get remove a "B" input from a rung. Thanks for the help.

Are you trying to delete the instruction that B3:1/3 is attached to? Or are you trying to change the address?

If so click on the instruction to hi-lite it then right-click on it then delete it.

double-click the rung number first - that will put the rung in the EDIT mode ... then you can work on its contents ...

then after you've made the changes, you'll need to Accept the rung ...

How do I say this gracefully... Uhh...

Are you real sure that's what you want to do?? If that bit is in an existing program that's been running for awhile, it's most likely there for a reason. If you go deleting it, be aware of the potential consequences.

If something used to work, it's not the program that changes. When a program stops working, it's because some device attached to the system is not working anymore.

I offer this advice because of the nature of the question you asked...

OZEE, based on his earlier posts, it looks like he's just trying to learn by working with a "spare" system ...

ceilingwalker: if this is NOT correct (and you're working on a "real" system), please let us know ...

Yes sir, it is a working unit. However, I found my goof. I was in program mode, however, I had not taken my laptop off-line to perform the edits I needed. The last issue I'm trying to resolve is how to read the mnemonics for each of the input and output addresses (assuming Technic's labeled them). Thank you all so much for the help.

Oh, also, OZEE, the process has changed and acid tanks have been moved-around and some moved out of the process altogether. That's why I need to edit even though it has functioned for years the way it is. I appreciate your input.

I was in program mode, however, I had not taken my laptop off-line to perform the edits I needed.

the SLC-5/03 that you mentioned earlier doesn't need to be offline to perform most types of edits ...

please be careful with this system ...

I always work with a "copy" of the original ladder. The original is saved on my laptop and on my thumb drive. Sir, are you the one that offers the PLC Training Boot Camp? If so, do you offer an affordable alternative to attending the class. My employer wont pay for it so I will have to pay for it myself. Also, I wouldn't be able to attend. I would need like CD's/DVD form of instruction for SLC500's. Do you offer such a thing? Thank you

I always work with a "copy" of the original ladder. The original is saved on my laptop and on my thumb drive.

yes, but besides being careful with "file management" you also need to consider that once you've made a change to the program, at some point in time you're eventually going to have to "test" that change to see how it actually operates in the real world ... that's the part where you really need to BE CAREFUL – because the PLC has ZERO concept of "safety" ... specifically, it's going to do whatever your program tells it to do – for richer, for poorer, for better, or for worse ...

Sir, are you the one that offers the PLC Training Boot Camp?

yes, that would be me ...

If so, do you offer an affordable alternative to attending the class.

well, as Forrest Gump might say: "Affordable is – as affordable does." ...

My employer wont pay for it so I will have to pay for it myself.

naturally you can't really argue with your boss, but here's a line of reasoning that sometimes works – if applied in a respectful and patient manner:

(A) working with the PLC requires a computer – as a necessary "tool of the trade" ... estimated investment: about $2,000 ...

(B) working with the PLC requires software – as a necessary "tool of the trade" ... estimated investment: about $2,000 ...

(C) working with the PLC requires training – as a necessary "tool of the trade" ... estimated investment: about $2,000 ...

of course if the boss has ample time and resources to allow you to "figure-it-out-on-your-own" then take the ball and run with it ... if you're patient enough – and motivated enough – then I'm absolutely CERTAIN that you'll eventually impress him with your abilities ... the forum members (myself included) will be glad to help you along as best we can – for FREE ... but if (as in most cases) your boss recognizes that "time is money" then perhaps a suitable investment in training on how to effectively use those other necessary "tools of the trade" would be in order ...

in my experience, most bosses don't really object to investing in "PLC training" ... instead what they object to is paying for training which isn't really "effective" ... in simple terms, they're tired of getting very little "return on their investment" ...

Also, I wouldn't be able to attend. I would need like CD's/DVD form of instruction for SLC500's. Do you offer such a thing?

oops! ... now THAT one is a show stopper ... no, the only training that I offer is face-to-face and up-front-and-personal ... I'll assume that you've already watched the videos that I've posted on YouTube ... those have helped quite a few people – but they're only intended to demonstrate how different my training approach is – and so you should consider them to be just a "preview" of what we normally cover in the first hour or so on Monday morning of a real PLC Boot Camp class ...

but then - if you're looking for "online" or other "computer-based" training, then I suggest that you look into the training material that Phil (our distinguished forum administrator) has available ... you can get started by clicking the links at the very top of this forum page ... many people have been helped by his books and CD courses ... in contrast, the training that I offer is generally intended for "hands-on" technician-type people who learn best by "digging in and getting it done" – and who need to "get it done" REALLY SOON to keep the boss happy ...

Thank you

you're quite welcome ... since you've asked specific questions, I've tried to give you specific answers ... still, this is very close to the borderline of "advertising on the forum" – and to be truthful I'm not exactly which side of the border this is on ... if you have other questions along these lines, perhaps it would be best to contact me by phone or email ... there is a link below my signature ...

Last edited: