Detecting loss of connection through RSLinx

welby

I am fairly new to Linx/OPC/and PLC's in general, but I've done ok up to this point.

I am writing an application that communicats to the plc using opc via the rslinx sdk. I am looking for the best way to monitor the state of the plc connection. I bascially need a toolbar in my app that will turn red whenever the plc/app communications is lost.

In the past, we have used a heartbeat timer to periodically listen for data from the plc, and confirm the connection with that method. Is this the only way, or is there a better way?

Thanks for the help.

Welby

I like to watch the scan toggle and set an alarm if I lose it, but that's similar to a hartbeat timer.

Charlie

Your heartbeat isn't a bad idea. Simple. Effective.

They might have status tags - that's up to the OPC server. I've used their troubleshooting tools within RSLinx, but I don't know if they have status tags automatically set up - I've never noticed them while browsing the PLC address structure in an OPC client.

You can also tie it to the OPC "quality code". 192 is "good data", go figure...

bernie_carlton said:
Don't the OPC engine have a failure state indication?

Last edited:
RSLinx Classic has some Pre-Defined Objects that provide information on the Server itself and its connection to the controller.

In RSLinx online help, search for the keyword "predefined objects" to see all the objects.

@IsPresent is a pre-defined object corresponds with a "Red X" in an RSWho browse. It used to be that this had to be a PLC-5 controller type but I've used it successfully with an ordinary Logix connection too.

The general syntax in an OPC link is:

=RSLINX|PLCTalk!'@IsPresent'

Good to know - Thanks, Ken. Is there an online reference (from the help) that you could link in?

Ken Roach said:
RSLinx Classic has some Pre-Defined Objects that provide information on the Server itself and its connection to the controller.

In RSLinx online help, search for the keyword "predefined objects" to see all the objects.

@IsPresent is a pre-defined object corresponds with a "Red X" in an RSWho browse. It used to be that this had to be a PLC-5 controller type but I've used it successfully with an ordinary Logix connection too.

The general syntax in an OPC link is:

=RSLINX|PLCTalk!'@IsPresent'

Thanks for the replies, they all gave me somthing to think about.

The way I ended up going was watching the PLC clock for the seconds. If I do not receive a datachange every second, then I know I lost connection.