Determining global IP address of compactlogix and panelview

Paul_Pereira

I have my PLC and HMI connected to my local network over DHCP just like my laptop. I can upload and download including VNC to the HMI over wifi from my laptop. I would like to work on the machines remotely as well if I need to travel. For this I believe I need to use linx gateway. How do I set it up?

You'll need some sort of VNC server on the external connection when you are remote. I don't think you'll need to do anything specific to get a VNC through RS Linx, it should be able to browse. I'd strongly recommend not using DHCP on the internal network, unless there's some overriding reason.

You do not need RSLinx Classic Gateway or FactoryTalk Linx Gateway. Both of those are special-purpose software that bridges communication driver configurations like DH+ and serial or OPC and FT Live Data, rather than general purpose network devices.

In general, you need a VPN or other general purpose network bridge to allow access to the network to which your machines are connected.

Part of configuring your PLC and HMI will also be setting the "default gateway", which will be the local network IP address of whatever router or VPN appliance you use. If you have a DHCP server, it may already be giving the devices its own IP address as their default gateway.