Device names in RSLinx tree

TheWaterboy

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I was reading about the ability to add a name to an RSLinx Config so that it displayed in the tree, and further read that that functionality was removed a long time ago in favor of creating a new driver for each device.
Is that right? Its a better, or even a good idea to create a separate driver in RSLinx for each Ethernet device on RSLinx?

The Online Name shows in the table so RSLinx knows it, but I want to place it in the tree if I can.

I was reading about the ability to add a name to an RSLinx Config so that it displayed in the tree, and further read that that functionality was removed a long time ago in favor of creating a new driver for each device.
Is that right? Its a better, or even a good idea to create a separate driver in RSLinx for each Ethernet device on RSLinx?

The Online Name shows in the table so RSLinx knows it, but I want to place it in the tree if I can.
I have not tried this in about a year, but before that: Add the "Generic EthernetIP" type driver, and after your IPAddress in the list, add a space and type the name for the device.

I divided the plant(With about 100+ PLCs) into colloquially named divisions: Team1, Team2, Team3 etc. Each so happened to have a major PLC that spread over multiple(30+) stations. If this was not the case I would have picked 1 driver for each major PLC(With high IO/Communication resource consumption).

Once the colloquial naming was done, I created a generic ethernet device driver for each Team1,Team2,Team3. I also optimized settings in the driver to get faster communication to the devices(Was visible: RSLogix had faster refresh rate for ladder IO).

Each driver had about 10-15 PLCs, and I also backed the RSLinx file up into an .rsx file, and every controls/maintenance engineer in the plant for those machines has been using that file for about 5 years now.

So there is a way to add a name for a device when you use the Ethernet Devices driver. It does not replace the IP address but it adds the name in addition to the IP address.

To do this, open the configuration window for the Ethernet Devices driver and in the table where the IP address is displayed, simply type a name after the IP address. That name will then appear in the RSLinx RSWho window or in the Logix Software Who Active window. Just note that this is a computer setting. Someone browsing from a different PC will not see the names you defined on your PC.

Attachments

• RSLinx.png
    RSLinx.png
    37.9 KB · Views: 10