DeviceNet Cable Through Connectors...

Eric Nelson

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I have a machine that has 2 separate enclosures. I'm currently using a 24-pole Harting connector for a dozen or so 24VDC signals between the two. I used a connector only to simplify initial installation. It will never be disconnected after installation.

Now I have to add a DeviceNet cable (Belden 3084A) between the two panels. I am wondering if it's okay to run the cable within the conduit, along with the other signals, and connect through the multipole connector? I have plenty of spare poles, but will this connection affect the DeviceNet network? I have seen DeviceNet wired through terminal blocks, and it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Another option is to run the cable externally, alongside the signal wires' conduit and use field-wireable connectors (i.e. Turck) to join them, but I'd rather not do it this way.

Speaking of Turck, are their 'DeviceNet' connectors really any different than their standard connectors, apart from color coding?... :confused:

🍻

-Eric

It might work, but if/when problems and or errors occur this will be blamed until it is changed.
Speaking of Turck, yes their 'DeviceNet' connectors and cables are "special" if in only being "sanctioned" and not taking first blame for any and all errors and faults.
Aren't "REGULATIONS" and "SPECIFICATIONS" wonderful?

Last edited:
Thanks, Russ.

I think what I'll do is 'try' the Harting connector, but leave a small loop of cable inside the hood and housing in case I need to do it externally. If I have any issues, I can pop some holes in the hood/housing, add strain reliefs for the cables to exit, and use Turck connectors.

There shouldn't be any issue with the DeviceNet cable in the same conduit with the signal wires, right? It's all just 24VDC signals.

🍻

-Eric

There shouldn't be any issue with the DeviceNet cable in the same conduit with the signal wires, right? It's all just 24VDC signals.
🍻
-Eric
You are correct, there shouldn't be.
BTW, There shouldn't have been any problems with Apollo 13 or the launch of Columbia, or the election of our last Pres' either.:rolleyes:

Back with more DeviceNet questions... o_O

I added a 1769-SDN scanner to my CompactLogix system today. I'm taking this step-by-step, so there's nothing connected on the DeviceNet side yet. I'm just trying to configure the scanner first.

I added it to my configuration in Logix 5K, and that appears to be fine. The problem is when I fire up RSNetWorx. I go online, drill down to my scanner and select it. It finds the scanner at Node 63 (its default node), but I get the dreaded question mark (see attached picture).

I had previously downloaded and registered all the eds files related to the 1769-SDN (basically just all 4 revs.). My scanner is Rev. 2.2, but the eds file on AB's website only shows Rev. 2.1. I'm thinking the issue is that the eds file I have is for minor revision 1, while my scanner is minor revision 2. If that's the case, then how do I get the correct eds file?

I did try creating a new eds file by uploading from the scanner. It seems to get the proper info, but when it finishes, I get the error "A newer version of the device is already registered on your system". Okay, so what does that mean? I thought maybe it was because I registered multiple eds files? I highly doubted it, but I went ahead and removed the SDN's eds files (except v2.1) and tried again, with the same result... :(

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? If I'm having trouble already, then I'm dreading the rest of this project. On this DeviceNet network, I will be connecting a 22-XCOMM to talk to 4 PowerFlex 4 drives over RS485, and also an Automation Direct DeviceNet slave (T1K-DEVNETS) for a few digital I/O points. Should be loads of fun!... :rolleyes:

🍻

-Eric

DnetError.jpg

I don't believe there is anything "wrong" - it is just RSNetworks asking you to go online to the scanner to confirm its identity.

You get the same thing happening if you take a brand new "software-configurable node address" device (which will be at node 63), and you then change its node address. RSNetworks will then place a question mark on the device until you "browse" the device again - confirming that what it thinks is there - is actually there !