Devicenet remote i/o thru ethernet ip gateway

Jeff23spl

Hello

I have a customer with a bad and very long serial network that would like to upgrade thru ethernet.

I was looking to install 2 gateway (1 on each end) that would change the signal from Devicenet to ethernet ip and run thru a dedicated ethernet network and be changed back to devicenet at the main plc by another gateway.

If it would be just to exchange date between 2 plc i would be confident that there is no problems but for remote i/o, is there any background information echanged between the plc and the i/o rack not seen by the user program...(like configuration data etc) making this impossible ?
I don't get the part # yet but it is AB remote i/o

Hello

I have a customer with a bad and very long serial network that would like to upgrade thru ethernet.

I was looking to install 2 gateway (1 on each end) that would change the signal from Devicenet to ethernet ip and run thru a dedicated ethernet network and be changed back to devicenet at the main plc by another gateway.

If it would be just to exchange date between 2 plc i would be confident that there is no problems but for remote i/o, is there any background information echanged between the plc and the i/o rack not seen by the user program...(like configuration data etc) making this impossible ?
I don't get the part # yet but it is AB remote i/o
I would run and run fast!!!
A band-aid/few hundred convertions here and there solution(especially when I/O is involved) sounds very similar to "operate at your own risk" thingy.
Just my 2 cents.

I don't know of any sort of DeviceNet to Ethernet 'bridge' that would let you do as you describe, with Ethernet in the middle and DeviceNet on either end.

If you are using a ControlLogix or CompactLogix family controller, you could use the 1788-EN2DN to place the Scanner closer to the I/O.

I have also used CAN repeaters from Western Reserve Controls to split up long trunklines into multiple segments.

If the long length of the network is a major part of the problem, then reducing the network length may help. But if the problems are induced noise or poor terminations, a repeater or bridge will not improve performance.

Phoenix Contact have a range of Devicenet repeaters PSI-REP-DNET CAN #2313423 & PSI-BRIDGE-DNET CAN #2313533.
Also Turk have REP-DN Logical Can Repeater.