DH484 Communications

George Graziano

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a 5/04 Processor and a Panelview 550, 2711-b5a9. It has 2 serial ports. The 5/04 2nd port goes to a 1761-net-AIC. It then goes to the Panelview serial port (Not the printer port).
So, a couple of questions, this was a piece of equipment working at another plant. I can't get the communications to work. The Panelview, I soldered the wires to a DB-9, pins 2,3 &5. The mini-din connector goes to the processor. The distance is about 50 feet total. At one time it looks like it went to a number of pieces on the line, but this is the only one I was told was working. Sould I go to a terminal block and put a terminating resistor on the panelview end? What pins? I know on the Net-AIC end to the the 2 termnals together for that terminating resistor.
Second question, I want to upload the panelview, I know I can't use the printer port, and have to disconnect the DH485 (This is not with the same setup above)Which cable is best to use?
Thanks
George

There are several ports and protocols that could be mistaken for one another, here.

The "mini-DIN" connector on the SLC-5/04 controller is in parallel with the 3-pin black "Combicon" connector. These are Data Highway Plus (DH+) connectors and are physically jumpered together. These are considered Channel 1 on the SLC-5/04.

The DH+ port has nothing to do with this PanelView and it is NOT the same as RS-232. It should never be connected to RS-232; damage to one or both may ensue.

The DB9 serial connector on the SLC-5/04 is Channel 0. It's an RS-232 port that can run multiple protocols, including Data Highway 485 (DH485).

You can network together that PanelView and that SLC-5/04 Channel 0 (the serial port) either directly or using the 1761-NET-AIC isolator.

If you connect the PanelView directly to the SLC-5/04, use a straight-through RS-232 cable. The SLC-5/04 Channel 0 will need to be configured for DH485 protocol.

To connect to either of these devices you're going to need a DH485 interface to your computer. If you are running Windows XP SP2 or earlier, you can possibly use a straight-through serial cable (to the PanelView) or a null-modem serial cable (to the SLC-5/04 Channel 0) and use the old "1747-PIC/AIC+" driver in RSLinx.

The modern method for connecting to these devices is the 1747-UIC, a purpose-built USB to DH485 interface module.

Thanks Ken. The Mini-Din I was talking about was on the Net-AIC and goes to Channel 0 on the Processor. Since all the changes, would I be better of just running between the Processor and the Panelview, skipping the Net-AIC. If so, what would the pinout be using DB-9's on both ends?
Thanks
George

Thanks Ken. You sent me in the right direction. The Electrician's Wired one end to the 6 terminal block and the other end I put the 9 Pin connector on. It should have been 9 pin connectors on both ends.

Thanks
George