DH485 communication problem

Steve4141

I am trying to set up point to point communications between a SLC 5/03 and a Panelview 600 touchscreen 2711-T6C5L1. I'm using the RS232 port on the panelview, A 2711-NC13 cable to channel 0 on the 5/03. The panelview is setup for DH485, Baud rate is 19200, Node address is 2. The 5/03 channel 0 configuration is set node address 2, baud rate 19200, and driver is DH485. Channel 1 configuration is set for node address 1, baud rate 19200 and driver is DH485.
RS Linx driver is 1747 PIC, comm port 1, station number 0, baud rate 19200. RS Linx is able to see the 5/03 but not the panelview. The panelview is dispalying a message "No active nodes found on network"
Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong and what I need to do to establish communication. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

1) I normally have a different address for the PanelView and the PLC.

2) To communicate with the Panelview directly from a PC serial port you need a straight through cable. Add a null modem tothe cable used to connect to the PLC from your PC. Unless you set up some special pass through stuff, you have to connect to one or the otehr device from your PC in order to have RSLinx find the device. Unless you go through an AIC+ or similar you can't talk to both simultaneously.

I thought on that model PV, the RS232 port was setup for a printer port only........I have a 5/03 and a PV900c set for DH485 and have to use my pic into the PV and I can see the PV and SLC, but to hook into the other port on the SLC and I can't see either one of them.....so might wanna check the PV closer......need some more info......too....maybe...Let me look a bit...

Steve

It sounds like your wiring is OK but your node number configuration is wrong.

The first thing to understand is that on the SLC-5/03 controller the two communications channels are logically and electrically separate. If you set the Channel 0 RS-232 port to DH485 protocol, it constitutes a separate DH485 network, not a continuation of the network connected to Channel 1. There is no "pass through" between channels.

So, what you have is:

Network A:
PanelView 600 DH485 Node 2
SLC-5/03 DH485 Node 2

Network B:
RSLinx DH485 Node 0
SLC-5/03 DH485 Node 1

Your RSLinx station cannot "see" the PanelView because it's on the other network. Your PanelView cannot communicate with the SLC-5/03 because it has a node number conflict.

The quickest way to resolve this is to change the PanelView to Node 3.

You'll need a 1761-NET-AIC if you intend to put all of these devices onto a single DH-485 network.

Yeah ....need to make sure your terminal from what I have always been told will go to 31 or 0, then the rack normally goes to 1 and my PV has been set up as 2.......

Ken I can see what you are saying but instead of it not seeing anything, he should at least see the PLC on the other channel right? I mean either channel should see the rack but might not see the other devices on channel 1? Help me see a little clearer...

Okay my rack is set as node 1, the PV is node 2, and then my pic is 0. I have found out that you ought to set the maxium node address to one more than you actually have so as to cut down on the scan time.....for the rack itself...

Does anyone have a breakdown of what I would need to put this on a single DH485 network. Cable Numbers and Quantity AIC numbers and Quantity.(One AIC or 2)??

If your setup is netwrok a then you should be able to go into the PV on the dh485 connect and see both of them.....that is what I am able to do ........

Looks like to me going to have to go with a 1761-AIC+ Have looked at the manual and there are all kinds of ways to hook this up....so here is the address to it....

http://www.ab.com/manuals/cp/176164.pdf

Okay now it is up to you to figure out what you want to do with it.....any more questions just ask.....someone is sure to know...but might make you work for it...

Steve

I set it up as two networks like Ken suggested and have an AIC on order to get it all on one network. It's working fine now. I appreciate all the help.
Steve

Here's how I'd connect this hardware:

[attachment]

PC -> AIC+
1747-CP3 or other null-modem RS-232 cable

PanelView -> AIC+
1761-CBL-PM02 with null modem adapter

SLC-5/03 -> AIC+
1761-CBL-AS03

Any of these cables can be fabricated by hand; search the Knowledgebase or use the AIC+ manual for pinouts.

Get Knowbase document G19396 from support.rockwellautomation.com as well; it explains the many variations on DH485 wiring.

Just to be clear; that's a 1761-NET-AIC (nicknamed the AIC+), not a 1747-AIC.

pv600_dh485.gif

Ken Roach said:
Any of these cables can be fabricated by hand.

What is the official name of the small round mini-DIN type connector?

Size and shape is like a standard mini DIN, (PS-2) but the pins are different aren't they?

Who sells them?