Difference Between a Transistor PLC & a Relay PLC

Towerlight

Hi...can anyone share with me what is the difference between a Transistor PLC & a Relay PLC? As I only uses a Transistor PLC i do not know much about a Relay PLC.
Thanks for viewing anyway.
Cheers ;)

A transistor output is a solid state device, and is usually only capable of switching low current DC, most often 24 VDC. They are capable of very fast operation.

A relay output has a physical relay on the output board, and the switching is done by physical contacts that open and close. They can switch AC or DC and higher voltages - usually up to 230 VAC.

Which you choose depends on the device that the output is switching.

Also, the expected contact life on the relay can be an issue if you are designing a low cycle time machine(few seconds per cycle). Where as transistor or other solid state outputs usually have a much longer life span. Just look at the PLC output card specifications for details.

I usually use relays because of the flexibility among voltages, only a few times I have used solid state outputs mostly due to the expected lifetimes.