Difference between DDE,ActiveX and OPC?

They are all based on Microsoft standards.

DDE: Oldest and slowest. Was adopted to work over networks (NetDDE). Optimised versions, AdvanceDDE and FastDDE, where marketed by some vendors. Both these and the original DDE is still used.

ActiveX: Old but still good. Some consider it to be faster than OPC.

OPC: Most recent. Based on OLE and COM. It will provide the greatest degree of plug-and-play between applications that is possible presently.

DDE and OPC uses the same "topic" and "item" method of referencing the data.

No one knows what will happen when Longhorn arrives. Maybe some new "standard" will be adopted.

Similar Topics

hi friends, Can any one explain me what is the difference between OPC server & DDE server in communication between PLC & SCADA. For my new...
Replies
Views
what is the difference between DDE and OPC, some people say than opc is the evolution of dde but i dont understanding wich is better or the...
Replies
Views
I am trying to write a VB app using DDE commands to get some values out of an AB PLC, but it's not working. The example I am trying to follow is...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have a problem with AO- and AA-Tags. When I use for example the tag AO_Test with the address 200 and type the value 1,2 in, the AA-Tag...
Replies
Views
As per the title. This might seem like a basic question to many, but I'm unclear about the difference between a coil ( ) and an application...
Replies
Views
Back
Top Bottom