directsoft32 dlo6

motoman00019

Hello everyone,
I am new to your forum but I did buy the learning book afew years back.
I need to do some programming and need advice on what is the best way to accomplish. Not being an expert programmer I and coming to the experts.
I have a DL0/6 and need to take a 24 volt signal and multiply the signal for either x1 or x2 or x2 depending on the input from my selector switch. This process is in the printing industry so the books are moving fast but not extremely. The scenario is that normally they run one book at a time, when they run 2 books at a time, the books sre stacked so the photo eye only reads one book.
This is not good for thier net count.
How can I make the output signal multiply the input.
Timers? math functions?
I already have the DL0/6 and the directsoft32 software from automation direct.
Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Motoman00019

thanks,

I finally got it to open after getting winzip, now I will need to study it for it is over my knowlege of programming skills.
Thanks,
Motomaan00019

It's pretty simple. Rung 1 adds 1 to a number (n), and replaces that number with the result.

Rung 2 does the same, except it adds 2 to the number (n).

The Input is a positive differential contact, so it only counts once everytime the sensor changes.

Do you have the DL06 instruction guide from AD? If not, it's a free download off of their website. It would be a good guide for you.

Marc

thanks

Mark
I will get the download from the internet,
I am having trouble understanding how all the pieces fit together to relate to an output that will increase 2 or 3 pulses per one input. Will I have to work about the outputs being too slow to keep up?
Russ

Ahh... more info...

motoman00019 said:
...I am having trouble understanding how all the pieces fit together to relate to an output that will increase 2 or 3 pulses per one input. Will I have to work about the outputs being too slow to keep up?
Output? What output? You didn't mention an output... :oops:

Marc's solution (excellent, by the way) assumes the counter value is displayed on an HMI connected to the PLC. From your latest post, it sounds like you have a separate, stand-alone counter. The counter is currently directly connected to the sensor, so it increments the count by "1" every time a book passes. You want it to increment by "2" instead, right?

Assuming I'm on the right track....

What brand/model is the counter? Some counters have a 'rate multiplier' setting, so you can count by values other than 1. You may want to investigate your counter to see if it has this, or consider buying one that does... :nodi:

🍻

-eric

the rest of the story

ok,
there is a photo eye that counts the widgets as they pass through the machine,
sometimes the widgets are stacked 2 or 3 high and the photo eye only reads one widget,
The photo eye sends 24 volts to an input card on an opto22 card,
this input card then takes that signal and outputs a digital signal via cat5 cable to a network and goes into computer land.
computer land then displays the counts on a computer screen.
I want to break into the signal from the photo eye, multiply the signal before it gets to the opto cards.
I want to take a box, mount a plc and a 3 position selector switch and be able to control the inputs to the opto card as pos 1 would be 1x1 pos 2 would be 1x2 pos 3 would be 1x3
Hope that helps, and thanks for all your help
Russ

and

the counter is not a counter at all, it is just a relay that separates the external input from the opto main board, and then there is another card mounted on the opto board that converts the relay signal to digital world, there are not any user adjustments or settings that am know of, but I will look again come monday.
Russ

also

if there was a dip switch located on the opto cards, it would not work out because the operator needs to be able to change the settings maybe 10 times per shift or more.
I am thinking maybe sequential timers or the drum function, but I don't really know what Iam talking about, that's why am relying on you guys.
thanks,
Russ

I misunderstood what you were asking. This code would be more appropriate, but there might be an easier way then adding a PLC. Good luck.

Marc

At first I was thinking a PLC would be overkill for this application. Something like THIS frequency divider could do the scaling, but you'd have to readjust it each time you changed quantities. With the PLC, you can digitally select different quantities. A pre-packaged converter is probably more expensive than the DL05 anyway... ;)

Marc's solution looks like it should work fine. The only thing you might have to change is the 1 second clock output pulse. We don't know how fast your line is running. If the books are closely spaced, the output pulse counter may not finish before the next stack reaches the sensor. If this is the case, you might need a faster clock.

🍻

-Eric

Good point. It all depends on the process being controlled. I'd probably hit it with the 50 mSec (SP6??) contact for most applications.