Directsoft5 editing - move elements? - change existing parameters?

wildcatherder

If it's not possible, it's not, but I have not found any way to move a column in a rung or an element in a rung.

I'd like to move several elements in a single column of a rung. Is it possible? I've searched "move element" and "move column" on this and other forums with no success.

Is it possible to edit parameters of an existing element?

Right now, I have to delete and reinsert every time I need a change in position or parameters.

If it's not possible, it's not, but I have not found any way to move a column in a rung or an element in a rung.

I'd like to move several elements in a single column of a rung. Is it possible? I've searched "move element" and "move column" on this and other forums with no success.

Is it possible to edit parameters of an existing element?

Right now, I have to delete and reinsert every time I need a change in position or parameters.

Editing parameters can be accomplished by double clicking on the element while in edit mode.

Changing positions is a little more complicated. There are situations where you would just add an element to a different position in a rung and then delete the old one. If you are wanting to insert an instruction, it may be possible to insert a column for the insturction in between two other instructions. Press the "Insert" key on your keyboard for options.
I would need to see a screenshot of what you have and what you are wanting to do to give more detailed instructions.

Brian

I wanted to add something after an existing element which was up against the right side of the Ladder View window. Apparently, insert/delete is my only option.

I managed to confuse myself between DirectSoft5 and C-More Programming Software on the edit parameters question.

You are, of course, correct about just double-clicking the element in DirectSoft5 to edit the parameters. There are usually only a couple of those anyway.

It is in the C-more Programming Software, where each screen object may have a number of parameters that double-clicking doesn't always allow complete editing. I realized the rest of the editing could be done in the Tag Editor, so it is not a problem.

Thank you, I consider my questions well-answered

I wanted to add something after an existing element which was up against the right side of the Ladder View window. Apparently, insert/delete is my only option.

Did you mean left side of the ladder view? The reason I ask is that DirectSoft (while in edit mode) should always add space for more instrucions to the right of current instructions with the execption of output instructions. You may have to cursor over if the ladder grows too much horizontally to fit on screen, but you should always have a space to place another instruction.
If you were trying to place an instruction after an output, you need to stack them vertically, not horizontally. You do this by using your arrow keys while holding Control to draw branch circuit "wires".
If you did mean left side of the ladder view, then yes, using insert to add a column to the left of your cursor is the only way to add an instruction to the beginning of a rung (short of starting a new rung or deleting the first instruction from its place.)

Brian

As far as I can tell, no additional white space is available to the right. I've tried CTRL-ALT-Right Arrow with no luck. It is a minor inconvenience. Even if I put an X type element, say X1, at the end of the rung, it becomes an output and there's no adding to the right of outputs.

I did find why I asked about editing an existing element.

More specifically, is it possible to edit the parameters of an EDRUM after insertion? Since I am prototyping, it is inconvenient to have to completely re-enter the drum information to make a change.

As far as I can tell, no additional white space is available to the right. I've tried CTRL-ALT-Right Arrow with no luck. It is a minor inconvenience. Even if I put an X type element, say X1, at the end of the rung, it becomes an output and there's no adding to the right of outputs.

I did find why I asked about editing an existing element.

More specifically, is it possible to edit the parameters of an EDRUM after insertion? Since I am prototyping, it is inconvenient to have to completely re-enter the drum information to make a change.

I have never used the EDRUM instruction in a program, but I would think you can edit it after insertion. I just added one to a blank project and if you double-click it, you get the same dialog box that you see when adding it, with no fields grayed out that I can see.

Your problem with no white space is bugging me. Maybe you have some branching going on, but otherwise, you should have space to enter additional arguments. It may seem like a minor inconveinence to you, but this would be a _major_ problem for some people if the number of arguments in a rung were dictated by screen size. If you do have branching going on, you will need to use the insert button to insert some columns in front of the output instruction.

Have a look at the attached screen shot. I made the ladder view smaller than normal, but it should convey the idea. The three rungs are constructed identically aside from the number of times X1 appears. Note how the viewer pushes the Y1 coil off the screen as the arguments get longer. You can still cursor over to the Y1 coil. Also note that the cursor is in position to add another argument to the second rung. The cursor can also be positioned after the last X1 in the third rung, and so on.

Brian

whitespace.JPG

Yes, it works if you insert before the last element but you cannot insert AFTER the last element in a rung. As I stated earlier, the last element gets converted to an OUT and no insertions are permitted to the right of an out. I just have to plan ahead.

Yes, it works if you insert before the last element but you cannot insert AFTER the last element in a rung. As I stated earlier, the last element gets converted to an OUT and no insertions are permitted to the right of an out. I just have to plan ahead.

I think you may be cursoring to far. The last element in a rung is always an output (or box) instruction. Typically, you are overwriting the NOP instruction that was in the rung when you started to edit it. But, you can (at least I can) enter more arguments (switches, input instructions, or whatever you might call them) in front of (to the left of) the output instruction. You are correct that no instructions are allowed to the right of an output.

I think the confusion stems from trying to put an input instruction on the NOP space. DS will interpret you putting any instruction here as an output.

FYI, those three rungs in the example I posted were constructed by entering the output first (in the NOP position) and entering the inputs to the left of it.

Brian