does anyone care? LOL

sysin

can anybody help me how to put audio signal ( analog ) into plc programming?

any idea will do.

i am currently researching on how to use plc into industrial paging system and recorded hourly reminders into workers specific parameters..

badly need anybody's idea. thanks

huh?

Audio? PLC?

PLC's do not lend themselves to this at all.

Sounds (no pun intended) like a project you need to be doing in .NET.

I currently (for the past 6 years) have one running with 56 alarms and we are adding 130 wireless alarms to it now.

Parts Needed:

Federal Signal 300-VSC-1 Audio Device.
Mackenzie Labs M2.1 Voice Alarm Device w/ 256 Voice Alarms and a PCMCIA Flash Card.
M2 Composer Software.
Radio Design Labs Mixer ST-UMX3.
AB-1500-LRP-PLC

Leon

It will be fairly easy to do with a HMI that supports call of external programs.
So, if your HMI supports it, you program the PLC to decide when to sound a "reminder", and let the HMI then call a discrete media player (like this one: http://www.webxpace.net/software/software.shtml#WavPlayer) with the desired WAV or MP3 sound as the parameter.

It is something I have thought could be cool to do, but never got around to actually implement.

Heh, we end up doing this a lot in theme parks. PLC show control systems triggering tons of audio(and other) effects. If you're using AB(and I think Omron is compatible too), a company called Anitech Systems makes audio repeater products that can communicate directly with PLCs via industrial protocols. Makes it real easy when we need a couple hundred audio files available for playback upon PLC command. I know they support Remote I/O, Ethernet I/P and DF1.

Their website is www.anitech-systems.com.

Oh, that's cool! I hadn't thought of theme parks. Could you please describe how they're usually wired (where the amp is, card outputs are connected to, etc)?

Jason Valenzuela said:
Heh, we end up doing this a lot in theme parks. PLC show control systems triggering tons of audio(and other) effects. If you're using AB(and I think Omron is compatible too), a company called Anitech Systems makes audio repeater products that can communicate directly with PLCs via industrial protocols. Makes it real easy when we need a couple hundred audio files available for playback upon PLC command. I know they support Remote I/O, Ethernet I/P and DF1.

Their website is www.anitech-systems.com.

These particular cards have regular analog audio outputs. There are some new, cool devices that transmit the audio signals directly via Ethernet.

Sometimes these analog outputs go directly to the amp channel(s), when some intermediate processing is required they are usually routed through a digital signal processor before then going to the amp. The DSP can provide additional routing, EQ, paging, muting, whatever is required by the application. A lot of the larger DSPs today can also handle audio signals directly via Ethernet, so if you have sources with the capability noted above, there is no need for individual analog wiring. In fact there are amplifiers and powered speakers available that can accept their inputs directly via Ethernet. This equipment is usually more expensive, but after considering the labor involved in wiring up hundreds of analog audio circuits as compared to relatively few RJ45 connections, the flexibility and labor savings can be well worth it.

The amps are usually located, well, in the rack room with the rest of the equipment.

good day!

did u mean this: 10960 series Zone Interface Modules? where am i going to put the PLC inputs ( at what particular terminals at this Gai-tronics AMI module?)that once the PLC triggers this input, it fires certain output? and so with the outputs ( Line audio outputs?) Is it only good for paging? Is there certain device that you could recommend that will work this way: It has push buttons in which at each push buttons, you can put messages / record voice.. Then, through PLC programming, u can select which of those push buttons will play at certain scheduled hour to play at the production area ( may it be a reminder, work instructions, etc.)

am i at the right truck?
Anybody out there could help?
thanks so much^_^

Last edited:
The closest that i can think of that a PLC can do is playing via PWM/Pulses... Just like in basic Electronics... the 555 timer is driving a speaker... although... you can only play "Tones" and not "Wav".

You could in theory do this by driving an analogue output. I think 4kHz is the typical frequency limit on a phone line so if that quality is acceptable then 1/4000Hz is 250microseconds per output sample. The PLC would have to have a scan time of 250 microseconds or division by 2 during sound output. Using a fast PLC and so long as you run it as an Interrupt it should be possible. You would have to create a table that represents the analogue output needed for each sample and then pass that value to the analogue output every 250microseconds. Possible but probably not best use of a PLC.

Bryan