Does anyone know what this is?

Apparently it does still work, just not the way the owner wants it to.

From what I can find out, if it's the Biovator PLC016 it's over 30 years old :eek: That's pretty impressive for a PLC (especially considering the atmosphere it's in).

It Looks a bit like it lives in a steel mill.

DanW : what about a console to go with it?

That looks like a Siemens PG675 - I used to use one of those many years ago; dual floppy disks running CP/M.

Nick

programmer.jpg

Aside from your joke picture, there are a few people who can actually program a computer in hexidecimal... That is damn scary.

But yeah, the fact that something like this is stll running after 30 years attests to the idea that "They don't make things ike they used to any more". In some ways, that idea really is true for electronic components and such...

What everyone can't program In hex?? lol it was the first lanquage I had to learn not as daunting for the simpler programs but its a pain for graphics

The first programming I did was an analog computer - youhad to run the right patch cables from hole to hole on the faceplate, and the output was an x-y plotter. At the time we thought it was "groovy".

My point, lol. I'm only 21, sothat was a bit before my time... Mind you, I have dabbled in assembly (I was interested in learning to program a SNES game, which runs on a 65C816)

It still feels to me that those 2MHz MC6809Es were lightening fast running code off a Pascal compiler and/or a macro assembler.

oops, I'm digressing.

Last edited:
Digressing? I think this thread has been derailed for a little while now.

As for low level stuff, I'm also looking to learn VHDL and do some hacking around with FPGAs :p

As for the original intent of the thread, all I can think to say is that it realy is amazing how long some things will last for. A friend of my brothers happens to own a Ford Truck from something like the 30s and drives it around town.

It looks nearly identical to the plc on a Trutzschler DK740 card machine. Rebadged on the Trutzschler machine of course. I used to think Trutzschler made their own PLC but now that I see your picture and think about it, they probably just branded someone else's plc.

It appears that Saperov mixes pleasure and work, and is likely the envy of many a Wisconsonite:
28r174w.jpg

I went to see the beast on Friday and I can confirm it is a Biovator PLC016. Thankfully the client had a print out of the existing code so I don't have to extract it somehow ;)

Should be a fun job!