dongle license

rmarius1908

Hello,
I have an RSView32 project running on a Windows XP. The licenses for RSView32 runtime and RSLinx are provided by a dongle. I tried to move the project on another PC and I was able to have the RSLinx license recognized but not for RSView32. I installed the software with the serial numbers matching the license in the dongle. I don’t have the original CD-s but I have a copy of the install programs (This is because the project was developed by a third party that is out of business). The licenses are valid and I can see them with FactoryTalk Activation Manager as Available activation. The only problem I can see is the Activation Serial Number in About RSView32 dialog is 0 not the first four Serial number digits how it is in RSLinx.
Any advice is welcomed.
Regards,
Marius

Welcome to the Forum !

This might be a good issue to run by the Rockwell Automation technical support guys in the Activation division. They really are good at sorting out the various activation issues, and you don't need a TechConnect contract to get support on Activations.

I'll provide a handful of observations:

1. The serial number you enter when installing the software itself doesn't have any effect on the Activation. Some software just checks the first 4 digits to verify that they are for the correct software product, and all software places the serial number into the Help->About screen for your later reference. The fact that you say you entered a serial number during installation but the Help -> About screens show a zero or just the first four digits is concerning. I've never seen that.

2. It might be that RSLinx Classic really isn't seeing the FactoryTalk Activation. In my experience when you install RSLinx Classic without activation it runs in Grace Period mode as a "Gateway" license for a week. This will show up in the FactoryTalk Event Log, but there is no "nag window" so many users overlook it.

3. You mentioned the "license in the dongle". Are you using one of the dongle+storage "USBDONG2" devices ? Where is the actual *.LIC file stored ? Your statement that the activations show as Available in the FactoryTalk Activation Manager suggest that FTA is pointing to a valid license, which make it doubly mysterious that the applications can't find the license.

4. The FactoryTalk Event Log is a very good resource for troubleshooting FactoryTalk Activation. Shut down both RSView32 and RSLinx Classic (even as a Service), re-start them, then look at the FT Event Log.

Last edited:
I had an issue with my activation awhile back. I had a Laptop that had the Harddrive fail on me and once we put a new one in and tried to reactivate it caused issues. I called tech support and they actually took control of my laptop and I watched him look around in different folders and he ended up finding that the Hard drive name from the original install was connected to the licence and when I tried to get the licence again from the Licence server I had a different harddrive name so it did not like it.

He fixed it by adjusting the licence to the new hard drive and everything was good after that. This may not be your problem if you managed to rehost your licence back on the server but in my case with a dead harddrive it never got put back so it got confused.

Ken and Dallin, thanks for your answers.
1. In the Help -> About RSView32 there are four fields: Company, Name, Activation Serial Number, and Serial Number. The Serial Number shows the correct serial I used when I installed the program but the Activation Serial Number is 0.
2. With the dongle connected, RSLinx shows Activation: Gateway. If I unplug the dongle the Activation changes in 5 days …
3. The .lic file is in the default folder (…\Activation – something like this). When I used “license in the dongle” I wasn’t referring to .lic file.
4. I tried a lot of things unsuccessfully.
5. The license is connected to my dongle, not with my HD I suppose.
6. I hoped I could get a clue w/o RA technical support but it looks this is the best option.
Best Regards,
Marius