dongle

jimcav

I have a rainbow technologies sentinel pro dongle which i think is bad.
It has the following numbers on it:

RB-4CTBEG-B and 9604L2432

There are many on ebay that are the rainbow technologies sentinel pro but they have different numbers.

What are the chances of them working on my system?

I looked around a bit out of curiosity, and as far as I can tell your chances with ebay are slim at best. Rainbow sells blank keys/dongles to developers who then program them for specific software security applications.

You may need to go back to where it was purchased.

What was the dongle for?

Back in the day, dongles like that were commonly used for licenses for DMACs / The Fix / Fix32 / iFix, as well as other software products (ICOM's AutoTune, I think).

Those numbers you have may have been tied to specific licenses from specific vendors, so naturally anything you find on EBay will have different numbers. I have (somewhere, unless I trashed them) a raft of these things, mostly for various Fix products / comms drivers. Some have development licenses, some are runtime-only, and so forth.

After all these years, it could be that your parallel port, serial port, or USB (depending on what kind of dongle it is) has gone bad, not the dongle.