USB Dongle activation issues.

Balboa

Banned User
Hello everyone,

For anyone getting license activation issues this might work.
I would get annoyong license activation issues when trying to run a studio 5000 program.
The dongle would be inserted and i could see the license in Factory talk activation manager but still it would give me this Activate license problem.
I refreshed the server but it made no difference.

Anyways i found a solution and thought i would share in case anyone else come across this issue in the future.
Here is the knowledge base article for this issue.
https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/897947/loc/en_US#__highlight

I deleted the RNL files as suggested but i never had to do a reboot it worked without the reboot.
I've spent the morning dealing with activation issues as well as VMware not seeing the dongle.

I'm sure the Plc veterans on here probably know this already but maybe this will help someone.
icon14.gif

First, go the the FTAM "Advanced" tab, then click "Show Bindings" - the list must show the dongle, which it probably does if you can see it there.

Then click "File Access", then "Browse Activation Folder"

That list should show the HOSTFLEXID license(s) that are on the dongle. If not go to the DONGLE:\Activations\ folder and COPY (don't MOVE) the files on the dongle to the main activation folder. Then Refresh the Server, go to Manage tab, Refresh Activations and they should show up.

EDIT: hopefully the flash drive portion of the dongle wasn't reformatted. If the licenses are on another computer they can be copied back to the dongle, if not it might be a call to Rockwell Tech Supp.
Dealing with a VM when the dongle is connected to the VM go to Device Manager and see if "Sentinel HASP Key", "Sentinel HL Key", "Sentinel USB Key" and "SafeNet HASP HL Drive USB Device" are listed

Last edited:
Balboa, I am experiencing the issue of VMWare (W10 Pro) detecting my dongle (evens shows in my device list and I installed the latest driver), but not showing in the Activation Manager (v5.00.13).

Was this your issue?

Balboa, I am experiencing the issue of VMWare (W10 Pro) detecting my dongle (evens shows in my device list and I installed the latest driver), but not showing in the Activation Manager (v5.00.13).

Was this your issue?

The VM device list must include:

USB flash drive of the dongle
Sentinel HASP Key [under Universal Serial Bus Controllers]

Sentinel HL Key
Sentinel USB Key

If it only sees the flash drive the Sentinel and HASP have not been installed in the VM

The VM device list must include:

USB flash drive of the dongle
Sentinel HASP Key [under Universal Serial Bus Controllers]

Sentinel HL Key
Sentinel USB Key

If it only sees the flash drive the Sentinel and HASP have not been installed in the VM

I should have been a little more specific, yes the sentinel HL and USB are listed as they should. Compared with another W10 Pro machine.

I should have been a little more specific, yes the sentinel HL and USB are listed as they should. Compared with another W10 Pro machine.

In FTAM go to Advanced / Show Bindings and see if the dongle appears there. See Pic 1. If not refresh the server and see if it shows up.

If it does show there click the File Access tab then Browse Activation Folder. Explorer opens the window, there it should show the licenses from the dongle that have been copied to the activation folder. See Pic 2.

If the licenses do not show in the folder go to the Activations folder on the dongle flash drive and copy them, do not move them, to the FTAM activations folder.

Then refresh the server and check Available Activations

If that doesn't do it I would call Rockwell Tech Support licensing department for help.

1.PNG 2.PNG

Dongle shows in Device manager under USB Controllers
- Sentinel Hasp Key
- Sentinel HL Key
- Sentinel USB Key

Dongle is not showing in Bindings
Activation files are in the correct directory
Server refreshed several times.

Spent 1.5 hours on the phone/Webex, before I posted, until they gave up and stated there was nothing else they could do.