License and dongle

dginbuffalo

Good morning- I am having an issue I find strange. I had version 20.03 of RS 5000 on my computer and i needed to load 17.01 to look at an older project I'm working on. I brought a 5000 CD from my new job home and loaded 17.01 on my prior companies laptop. When i open the project, i get the popup that says it hasn't been activated? It doesn't do it when i open a newer project that was created in V20.03? If i have a license file, i didn't think it cares- does it? It wouldn't have anything to do with the CD i loaded it with was from another company-could it? It autofilled the correct serial # when i loaded it. Now i may be in a bind because i don't think i can finish the project before the grace period expires! Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Whenever I have had a hiccup with factory talk activation, first I look around in Factory Talk Activation Manager event logs and status windows to see what it says. I have not used a dongle but have had an occasional issue with the timing of things when using licenses on a server.

I have the dongle I use between 3 computers & every time I insert the dongle in a computer I wait a couple minutes, then open Factory Talk Manager & make sure the licenses show up before I open any version of RSLogix.

Sometimes it takes a couple of Refresh Server's to get the dongle recognized.

I had a similar issue with version 19. and 20. Had 20 then installed 19. Called Tech Support and they explained it as a glitch when loading older software on a PC with newer version installed. It likes things to be installed in order. So I uninstalled Both versions then reinstalled them. After that no problems. You will notice during installation it will install the lower version first then the upper version.

I had a similar issue with version 19. and 20. Had 20 then installed 19. Called Tech Support and they explained it as a glitch when loading older software on a PC with newer version installed. It likes things to be installed in order. So I uninstalled Both versions then reinstalled them. After that no problems. You will notice during installation it will install the lower version first then the upper version.

Ugggggh-don't like the sound of that but i figure that's a high possibility. Thank you AB, may i have another!o_O