Dos6.22 - Networking and Backups

504bloke

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a friend with 10 robots each running dos 6.22

He wants to network these and be able to back all files up from each machine over the network to a single PC

Been a long time since I used any dos stuff

Anybody know the best solution for doing this ?

The robots can have a 3com network card fitted easily

I did this successfully a long time ago using the Network Files from Windows for Workgroup 3.11. Using the Files from a more modern Operating System may not work, but if you can find a copy of Windows for Workgroup 3.11, you might be able to. It will take quite a bit of research and experimenting, but I believe it is possible.

I would set up a test Dos 6.22 Machine, and get it working on that, then do it on the Robots.

Stu....

Thanks Stu

We have Win 3.11, NT, 95, 98 etc disks so thats not a problem

Its was the networking setup for dos and the sharing i was interested in, config and batch files etc

Have you any info on what you did previously?

I could waste a couple of days at least on this trying to get it set up - but if someone has done it and has details then that would save a lot of time....

I will have a look when I get a chance, and see what I can find.

It was close to 20 years ago, and it took a lot of trial and error as I recall.

Stu....

I'd start by looking at the SHARE command for the CONFIG.SYS file ...

if you can get your programming computer to "see" the robots as "shared" folders over the network, then a BATCH file would probably be able to copy the appropriate file(s) from each robot into one directory ...

if the robots all use the same filename for the files that you're interested in, you should be able to make the batch file automatically create a new directory (as in ROBOT_1 and ROBOT_2, etc.) and then store the files in those ...

Thanks Ron

Any more tips would be welcome :rolleyes:

Share command - it's slowly coming back

And I would think I'd need the net use command to set up the network share

All robots are the same, only file name that may be different would be the pant job names for particular jobs, although these may just be numbers, haven't got that far yet

OK I have to ask what Robots are they? Does the controller accept a newer network card or OS? I can't spell DOS and I can barely turn a PC on. So take it for what that is worth.

You could do it with a batch file and primarily using LMHOSTS files to resolve with but it would be much easier to use lantastic http://pcmicro.com/lantastic/

Lantastic is a life saver when working with old stuff and connecting it to newer systems. I have doen a few weird setups with it.

Downlaod the user guides at the site. I think it will fit your needs.

Ditto the Kid.

For anything involving DOS, or old legacy systems, LANtastic is great, inexpensive, and you don't have to be a network engineer to work with it.