download to flash stick and Convert RSP files to pdf

FLOZA

I currently need to download about 400,000 bits of RSLogix 5 from four Allen Bradley SLC 500 to a flash stick for printing or viewing. Does anyone have knowledge of a software program i can use to accomplish this? Please supply procedure details since I have not done this before.

HMMM?

Do you want to upload the programs from the SLC500 PLC's?

If so you will need RSLogix500 (SLC500 programming software) for this.

RsLogix5 is for PLC5's.

.RSP files are for PLC5's .RSS files are for SLC500 and Micrologix processors.

Do you have the files? If so you can post them here and somone can create PDF's for you. Zip them first,

If you have the programming software you can just open the project and create a report then print it to a PDF printer. (PDF995 and CutePDF free software will do this for you)

Do you have any software?

If not...

Contact your local Allen Bradley representative.

Last edited:
I do not have the files, and I do not have the Allen Bradley software, too expensive. All I need to do is down load the ladder logic ans comments to study them at home I do not do programming i am an electrician. the logic is so massive it is not possible to learn them while production is occurring. I have left a request with englewood electric an allen bradley supplier but they have not replied.

There will be no comments in the file(s) uploaded from the PLCs. They do not store them. Refer instead to the source files your company SHOULD have (though not likely given your request) or from the manufacturer of the machines involved.

just trying to help ...

regarding your statement:

the logic is so massive it is not possible to learn them while production is occurring.

how do you KNOW that the logic is "massive"? ... have you actually "seen" it running on a computer screen? ... if the answer is "yes" - then chances are that the RSLogix software that you're asking for is already present on that computer ... so maybe the person operating the computer would be able to provide you with a printed copy of the program files that you want ...

this is a LONG SHOT - but just trying to help ...

let's put it this way ... a copy of the ladder logic code (with descriptions, etc.) is PROBABLY stored SOMEWHERE in your facility ... have you asked the person who maintains that material to print out a copy for you? ...

The back up files and the files that are loaded to the plc are stored in the four panel view monitors/computers. is it possible to download them from there? If so give detailed directions. I plugged in my flash drive a few days ago and it was not recognized by the panel view computer. I was going to drag and drop the files into the flash drive and convert them at home with a pdf converter program. I have been working for Ford for four years and can only look at the logic 6-8 bits at a time when production alarms slow down enough. every other company I have worked for has supplied me with the logic printed. sometimes an inch and a half of the green and white computer paper. After four years of asking I finally received an offer from one of the supervisors that if I downloaded the files to a stick he would have them printed for me.

Last edited:
After four years of asking I finally received an offer from one of the supervisors that if I downloaded the files to a stick he would have them printed for me.

my best advice is that you go to that same supervisor and ask him to help you gain access to the material ...

what you are doing by inserting memory sticks into your plant's equipment is EXTREMELY dangerous ... it wouldn't take much to corrupt or erase the material that keeps your plant running ... personally - I wouldn't touch this stuff with a ten foot pole ...

again - I'm trying to be helpful ... let me ask you a question ... WHY do you want access to this code? ... to help you troubleshoot the equipment - as part of your existing job? ... or just to help you LEARN some PLC skills? ...

if you're trying to LEARN about PLCs and ladder logic, then I'd STRONGLY recommend that you buy yourself a MicroLogix 1100 system - and download a FREE copy of the RSLogix500 software - and put together a training station on your kitchen table ...

To troubleshoot production problems. I have never worked for a company that is so unwilling to supply me with documentation. The only thing I can find in the rockwell site are the manuals on how to use rslogix to create programs. I have taken a PLC training from Coyne American institute, Rockwell and a subcontractor ford uses named Leoni. i have also watched countless of how to videos on youtube including yours.

To troubleshoot production problems.

this is going to come off as sounding negative and discouraging - but I do NOT mean it that way ... it's just the cold hard facts ...

if your company will not give you full access to the material that you're looking for - then your chances of making any significant use of the printouts is going to be MINIMAL - at best ... in simple terms, you're really going to need to get "online" (communicating with the PLC processor in real-time) in order to make much use of the material ...

so ...

if the company WOULD let you get online with their PLCs, then they would also (of a necessity) be forced to provide you with the programming code - and with the RSLogix500 software - and with the proper communications gear (cables, adapters, and such) needed to connect to the PLC for troubleshooting purposes ...

here's an honest straight from the shoulder recommendation ... if your company is already content with your on-the-job performance - and they don't see the need to provide you with access to the PLC processors - then just keep-on keeping-on ... do your job - and get paid for doing it ...

and ...

get yourself a MicroLogix 1100 processor (no other model) and download the free copy of RSLogix500 software (the forum will tell you how) and start learning PLC skills on your own time at home ...

then ...

when you've got some skills in your noggin - then see if your supervisors would be more accommodating to your request to move further along the path ...

Last edited:
The way Ford does their maintenance is you get an alarm and a message (when they are working properly) the message leads you to an input and we keep the panel view open with all its ladder windows open. we then look at the logic to determine the cause. most of the alarms are basic and only require one to reset the line or toggle some input or output. recently i received a four day suspension for a 12 minute loss in production even though I believe I had not caused the down time. What simply happened is that one of the recovery procedures that I use to restart the line did not work. that procedure normally restarts the line in 1-3 minutes. I believe it was some sort of logic failure. the PLC5's are old.

It sounds like Ford depends on the proper information for correcting a problem (including relevant read-only lines of logic) to be presented and the floor personnel to follow the listed steps,

You may very well cause more problems (either for the line or for yourself) by going beyond the authorized procedures. You may ask once again with a clear description of your intentions (quicker troubleshooting - correcting of faults).

But if you are denied again it would be best to follow Ron's advice and learn about general programming on your own. It may lead to an opportunity away from Ford giving you the ability to exercise your curiosity more fully.

And I agree - DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES - plug your own USB devices into company equipment!!! Read about the STUXNET virus and its effects which was transmitted via USB drive.

Last edited:
And, logic doesn't fail because a PLC is old. The components in the field fail due to wear and tear. Logic fails when people that shouldn't have access to it gain access and change things.

OG

I bought the flash drive myself and plugged it in to my own computer to make sure it had nothing on it. I bought it from a well know supplier in chicago Micro center. Also I would never make changes to a system that I do not understand. I can't speak for the other electricians and supervisors who install AFI's on logic runs and leave them there. Since I do not have documentation of the system I dare not remove these AFI's for fear of causing problems. these robot lines have ladder logic numbering in the 100's to thousands of rungs. most of the file transfers, copy, move instructions have no rhetoric as to what they are moving or copying. I have never seen anything like this. I graduated from Coyne in 1980 and have been working in electrical maintenance since then.

Last edited:
I started working when triacs were the size of your thumb and you could order a triac for two dollars and replace the triac. today if you touched any component with even a 25 watt soldering iron you fry it. making it neccessary to replace the 200 to 500 dollar module. I need a magnifying glass to see the components.