USB flash drive to download modified code

almk

Hello all. We are using USB flash drives to download modified code to Allen-Bradley or Maple Systems HMI's. It is very convenient on field startups or light modifications, so customer can just plug drive and download file directly to HMI without laptop or software. Today I was asked if it is possible for PLC's. I have not seen any PLC that capable download modified code to PLC using USB drive. We did use some memory chips, but it required to open panel and some work. Any ideas or recommendations? Many thanks, Alex

The AB Controllogix and Compactlogix and even the Micrologix family of processors have the capability to do what you asked via SD/CompactFlash/Memory module, it still requires opening the panel and plugging it into the processor. With little configuration it will download the program on startup. I have not seen any PLC that can take a USB drive to download the program, but I would recomend looking into Automation Direct PLC's

untitled.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks, Adam. CompactLogix CPU with SD slot is great, but still required to open the panel. I am looking at Red Lion Graphite HMI with attached I/O. Very interesting, but had never used it, would be nice to have anyone opinion regarding Red Lion HMI's. Alex