Downloading Program on AB Micrologix 1200 + Win7 64bit + Usb/Serial

mike64b

Hi I've been programming in RSLogix 500 Micro Starter edition and its come time to download my program to my Micrologix 1200.

I'm using a Win7 64bit system and I've got the standard serial cable from AB as well as a USB to serial cable (prolific chipset).. When I try to load the micrologix driver in RSlinx as a RS-232 DF-1 SLC-CH0/Micro/PanelView (assuming that is correct), I do Auto configure and either end up with it hanging at checking BCC (error correction) or spitting out a "failed to find baud and parity" error..

From searching a bit, It looks like the possible issue may be the prolific chipset of the USB to serial cable... Assuming I get a different chipset might it work?

The alternative is finding a desktop with a serial cable... however my issue is my Rslogix software is installed on this laptop so I would have to uninstall it and reinstall on the desktop in order to use it there? (I believe the software is 1 user).

Thanks
Mike

Autoconfigure is convenient but not necessary. Many USB/RS232 converters will work with DF1 Full Duplex but fail to perform Autoconfigure successfully.

Try manually setting the DF1 Full Duplex driver for the default speed and framing, with a MicroLogix device type and CRC error checking.

You'll see here on the Forum that the Keyspan USA-19HS is very strongly recommended for automation work. Mine is here on the desk somewhere....

DF1_Defaults.png

Thanks that actually did seem to work. I went and downloaded my program thru RSLogix but I did get a popup saying :

Apply channel configuration to online processor (Apply/ Dont apply)
-- COMMUNICATION CONFIGURATION IS DIFFERENT --

* WARNING * Loss of communication on OTHER channel (CH0) MAY occur.

Accept new Configuration?

Not sure if I should apply this or not.. any ideas?

If you are not using any peripherals that use the CH0 com port to communicate, then it's not something to worry about. Basically it's telling you that CH0 is configured different in the offline project. If it is different than your current settings, and you apply changes, your computer may not be able to communicate with it again until you change the driver settings in your RSLinx.

Open the CH0 configuration in the offline project and compare it to the settings of your RSLinx driver to see where the difference is. Change the offline project to match what is needed.

Well I decided to say Don't Apply so I could go back and change it but after I did so, I see RSlinx now says the node has Comm Error 00000005 ..

I also opened the Ch0 in the offline project but I dont see what to compare that to in RSLinx..

Thanks

Well I actually unplugged/replugged the usb/serial converter and went back to rslogix and it seems I now can actually go online... I'm still curious about the channel comparison with RSLinx because I don't see anything about channel config in linx... Thanks

The driver configuration in RSLinx, the image Ken posted, shows you the Baud Rate, Station Number, Parity/Stop, Error Checking, etc. The same settings appear in the channel configuration in the offline project. You just need to compare the two and see what is different between the actual controller you are connected to and the settings in the offline file.

If I remember correctly, they are shipped new with a "default" CH0 setting, and even if they appear the same, it stills give you a warning on the first download of a new program to a blank controller.

Hi I've been programming in RSLogix 500 Micro Starter edition and its come time to download my program to my Micrologix 1200.

I'm using a Win7 64bit system and I've got the standard serial cable from AB as well as a USB to serial cable (prolific chipset).. When I try to load the micrologix driver in RSlinx as a RS-232 DF-1 SLC-CH0/Micro/PanelView (assuming that is correct), I do Auto configure and either end up with it hanging at checking BCC (error correction) or spitting out a "failed to find baud and parity" error..

From searching a bit, It looks like the possible issue may be the prolific chipset of the USB to serial cable... Assuming I get a different chipset might it work?

The alternative is finding a desktop with a serial cable... however my issue is my Rslogix software is installed on this laptop so I would have to uninstall it and reinstall on the desktop in order to use it there? (I believe the software is 1 user).

Thanks
Mike

Hi. I have almost the same situation, RSLogix 500 starter, MicroLogix 1200, Windows-7 64-bit, no built in RS-232 etc and trying to get my program downloaded. I have a TrendNet USB to rs-232 cable and have installed the drivers. My questin however is a little more basic. How/where do I specify the TrendNet driver. Is it as simple as just making sure the TrendNet driver is configured to the same COMM port as the AB-DF1 driver, or is there something else I do to "connect" the TrendNet driver with the AB_DF1 driver? BTW, I have experience with programing microprocessors (assmbley and C++), but am pretty weak with PC drivers and totaly new to PLCs and ladder logic. Please excuse my ignorance. (I'm working pro-bono, modifying the program on a MicroLogix 1200 that controls the sewage treatmentat at a non-profit youth camp)

Hi. I have almost the same situation, RSLogix 500 starter, MicroLogix 1200, Windows-7 64-bit, no built in RS-232 etc and trying to get my program downloaded. I have a TrendNet USB to rs-232 cable and have installed the drivers. My questin however is a little more basic. How/where do I specify the TrendNet driver. Is it as simple as just making sure the TrendNet driver is configured to the same COMM port as the AB-DF1 driver, or is there something else I do to "connect" the TrendNet driver with the AB_DF1 driver? BTW, I have experience with programing microprocessors (assmbley and C++), but am pretty weak with PC drivers and totaly new to PLCs and ladder logic. Please excuse my ignorance. (I'm working pro-bono, modifying the program on a MicroLogix 1200 that controls the sewage treatmentat at a non-profit youth camp)

I believe if you have the drivers installed, you can open RSLINX CLASSIC (installed with rslogix) , press the button that has a cable on it (configure drivers), select from available driver types RS232 DF1 Devices and click add new. Set the com port to the one used by your usb to serial port (you can find that under device manager i think), baud rate 19200, station number 00, Device: SLC-CH0/Micro/Panelview, parity none, error checking crc, stop bits 1, protocol full duplex, then click ok and that should be it.

you can then press start to have it run and try it out in rslogix. If you encounter weird problems when in online editing or downloading a program to the plc, you may have to right click the rslinx icon and close it and then retry what you were doing in rslogix (this is just a problem that I seem to have, so i duno if you'll have it on win7 64bit too).

If none of that works, post a new thread and hopefully someone else will know.