Downloading Without RSNetworks Ethernet I/P File

Winklehoffen

I have a customer with a plant using a Compactlogix L43 and a stack of Ethernet comms to drives and so forth. They want me to add another drive in and so I need to add that on the network. My concern is that I don't have any of the original files for the plant and have only uploaded the program from the PLC. What will happen if I add my new drive in to the uploaded program then download this into the PLC without the RSNetworks Ethernet file?

There is an SEW Movidrive on the network too so I have some concerns about whether that will still work after my download and I really don't want to have to touch that.

If I go into the ethernet module properties and click on the RSNetworks tab I get file not found. When I click OK it asks me if I want to create the file, so I do. I then get some warnings along the line of:

Warning: Failed to create new chassis in EtherNet/IP project file. Verify EDS file exists: 0001000700440301.eds

And:

Warning: Failed to create new device in EtherNet/IP project file. Verify EDS file exists.

So obviously I don't have all the correct EDS files but can I still download my modified program?

By the way this is a RSLogix 5000 v15.02 program.

Unlike with ControlNet, RSNetworx for EtherNet/IP has never been required for configuration of ControlLogix projects.

Don't worry about the missing .ENT or .EDS files; just validate and download the *.ACD to the controller, and the Ethernet bridge modules will take care of creating the connections to the drives.